on change and same

November 09, 2008 candacemorris 4 Comments

i woke up in california today.
i had an all too short [but tragically overdue] visit with my bffs...steven and karen dunlap.
recap.
let me set the scene for you.
20 yr old candace meets
18 yr old friends steven and karen (though they met about 2 months before i met them).
instant connection with both of them.
k and s accidentally and unknowingly fall in love.
steve leaves for a semester.
karen loves steve.
steve loves karen.

candace knows all.
candace tells none.
fast forward two years to candace as the maid of honor in a beautiful wedding.

kbl and sdd taught me this:
1. how to be a child again.
2. how to laugh.
3. how to not take myself so seriously.
4. how to begin to take myself seriously...with the men. :)

i realized this weekend that ten years ago they planted a seed in me that is just now beginning to bear fruit...luscious, drippy, sickeningly sweet fruit. it's a fruit i call my wee-child inside.

i left seattle tortured by the demon of transition and the unknown.
but i returned knowing that despite the changes swirling around us,
nothing much changes. [how badly i needed this caveat of wisdom!]

at least not with steve's old soul,
and karen's all-you-can-eat buffet of kindness.
[and with the anticipation of their baby girl, i cannot see that pairing going sour, rest assured my sweet worry worm.]

nothing much changes.
nothing much at all.

From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


From I do Dunlap


I do Dunlap
i miss you already.
~candiass

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

UmberDove said...

I want that puppy. Now. It's a good thing for them that they live more than a quick evening drive from me.

I am ever glad that you spent the weekend in such good company. I can't wait to hear the details. I'm glad your back (I missed you as always).

emilyclare said...

I enjoyed this post very much Mrs Bookling. And those photos are gorgeous... I espeically liked seeing you smile that smile of nostalgia and happiness with your friend, and seeing you all lined up on that couch (so serious and about to burst into laughter)

CRM.
I loved this post.
I think you DID manage to find some sabbath for your soul this weekend.

Candi, you just made this poor pregnant lady cry...again! But only tears of love. I miss you already so much. It was beyond wonderful to be with our friend who is loves us so easily and is so easy to love in return. Kisses to you.