"only the trying..." T.S. Eliot

May 07, 2009 candacemorris 9 Comments

without even really meaning for it to be the goal, i have noticed a pattern forming. i keep trying new things! two weeks ago, i tried a new recipe. last week, i bought a cardigan that has a pattern. this week i touched charcoal to paper for the first time.



oh what inner bliss. i had been experiencing frustrations with the small details and intricate moves of watercolor paintbrushes. an artist (who is a natural-born teacher) suggested i try charcoal on a really big surface. it was very liberating, and i was deeply healed by how entirely forgiving charcoal is.

tonight, i plan to begin making my own dress from grandma's vintage pattern. joelio's mom helped me pick out the material and will be officially teaching me how to sew clothes.

oh how GOOD it is for the soul to try...
crm

*note. i did not draw the man. that was the saint. i cannot draw things that actually resemble anything else...YET (more on the power of "yet" soon.)

You Might Also Like

9 comments:

jordan said...

trying new things is (to risk being cliche) the spice o' life. if you're ever searching for recipes, i've got tons that i love to share so let me know!! food is one of my hugest loves in life. and i'm with ya on charcoal being a ton of fun - i used to really enjoy drawing (all my stuff was abstract because i too am bad at mimicking reality), haven't done it in a long time though but some day i'll get back into it...

she said...

the rest is not our business, so thank God you've done the trying for yourself. i like what this post is about, but i like the photo equally as much.

jordan- yes! send me one recipe this week!!! something springy?

kjk- photo courtesy of the saint...with a little direction. :)

jordan said...

oh man - i'm so on it. i freaking LOVE sharing recipes. expect an email later today!!!

Joanna Lee said...

Just found you through Bliss. You have a great site.

I love trying new things because I get bored easily and have to change it up or die of boredom. There's the good and the bad to this dilemma.

Based on this site, I think you might enjoy reading mine. I have 4 because I get bored easily. If you click on my name it'll take you to "The Purple Idealist", which is linked to all the other ones. No pressure...just thought you might like them.

Either way, I'll be following you from now on. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Now I'm going to check out your Flickr!

Have a lovely day!

Linda Lu said...

Your charcoal drawing looks lovely.

Cassie said...

Sometimes it's hard to be so vulnerable to try the untried. I told my husband I'd like to try and paint and he laughed. He likened it to him writing. Which, in reality he can write, but doesn't recognize that he can. To be scared to try or to not try because there is no experience is rediculous! We must try. There a new hobbies, talents, and releases waiting to be loved and enjoyed.

beatriz- well hello! i actually didn't know mrs. french had linked my site to hers! HOW EXCITING.

Lilith- thanks so much. It was not a drawing of anything, I was just trying to discover the medium. But thanks...a kind word goes a MILE in an artists heart.

Cassie- I would like to pinch your man for laughing! :) But to the rest of your comment, AMEN.

Dutch said...

I love it.