Self-Care Challenge Day Three

May 27, 2009 candacemorris 5 Comments

It's getting harder to fit in the self-pampering, isn't it? As the week wears on, I find myself busier and if I have not planned indulgence, it will never happen.

Or will it?

I was thinking today that another benefit of this self-care challenge is that even if we cannot fit something seriously indulgent into the day, we start to come to awareness of how we have managed to care for ourselves already without even knowing it. The not knowing can become problematic because if we are not cognating on how we treat ourselves, we are apt to either grossly abuse or overly-indulge. For instance, today I had a cupcake with one of my tutee's as her 16th bday present, and now I am ready to pamper myself with another dessert. In the long run (and especially since I have spent since June of 07 working my ass off to loose 20 lbs), this is not pampering. If I had decided earlier in the day that the cupcake was my indulgence, I would have slowed down, savored each bite, moaned, relaxed, and enjoyed it fully. There are ways we think we are caring for ourselves that are sometimes the very opposite (doing yoga tonight instead of dessert) is what will translate into my subconscious as self-care. "Your body is the carrier of this beautiful soul...it deserves to feel good too."

For you? Hell, it may be having another cupcake. But at least a new part of the battle is illuminated...thinking about how and what truly feeds your soul.

Though I hadn't planned for today's self-care to be drinks with my soul-friend Ben, I realize now that I will be happy the rest of the night, fulfilled, satisfied in his company and in me allowing myself that leisure time connecting to a friend with whom I will grow old.

Day Three: German Pub with Ben

Is it getting harder for you?

Tootles,
crm

You Might Also Like

5 comments:

Joanna Lee said...

Aah! I completely forgot! However, today I'm finally going to sleep at a reasonable hour. It's been 5 O'clock in the morning...so 11pm sounds like heaven. Perhaps tomorrow I can actually enjoy myself!

It's so hard to remember. So easy to fall into old habits!

Have a beautiful day!

Well.
We gardened for 10 hours.
Shared tomato, mozza, basil salad for lunch with glasses of fume blanc.
A trip to the art store.
A splurge at the art store.
A five mile walk and run in the hills.

I thought I couldn't do self-care until after June 14th...but with Umber here...we're cutting loose.

LOVE YOU. (a shout)
love you. (a whisper)

jordan said...

oh man, i was just thinking exactly what you wrote. i was trying to think of what to write about for tuesday and wednesday and then realised this - my tuesday pamperning consisted of me going to band practice. this is something i do every single tuesday, but it makes me feel good, particularly after having been on band hiatus for 5 years while in vet school. so. and as for yesterday - i was feeling not so hot, so i lazed around watching tv after making some delightful homemade soup (i'll send the recipe if i remember) and then went to bed early. fell asleep lying on my therapy ball, then woke up an hour later to crawl under the covers and call it a night. mmmmm. heaven.

i played around on etsy! such a splurge!

Cassie said...

How did I think yesterday was Tuesday and that I was only one day behind?? This freightens me! Time is getting away from me again and I am not sure what I've done with it!

Yesterday, I did stop in at Borders and browse around to my liking. No splurges and I couldn't feel any justified when I have a gift card for Barnes and Noble. Anyway. I also looked at jewelry at Whole foods and consciously treated myself to a rest on the floor. Good day!

That cupcake sounds good! Oh, yeah--Camas, WA is the charming little town 5 miles East of Vancouver just over the bridge from Portland. (10 minutes) :)