the food, the animals, the color, the friend

May 17, 2011 candacemorris 10 Comments












There were some serious eats and drinks.








There was plenty of animalia-phila.






There may have been a few goofy moments











Alas, dear readers, there were small beauties in abundance.

I am deeply refreshed and reminded yet again of the danger in taking your good friendships for granted.  I am especially lucky in this one.

I return from times with Kelly rife with inspiration for artistic living.  I've been ruminating on my plan as a writer and wishing the world would take me seriously as an artist.  The thing is, why would anyone else see me this way if I don't?  Self, it's time to tighten those belts and work at what you love.  More to come on this later.  For now, I wanted to leave you with a few words from Rilke that have rocked both Kelly and I with passion and clarity:

Everything is gestation and then birthing. To let each impression and each embryo of a feeling come to completion, entirely in itself, in the dark, in the unsayable, the unconscious, beyond the reach of one's own understanding, and with deep humility and patience to wait for the hour when a new clarity is born: this alone is what it means to live as an artist: in understanding as in creating.
     In this there is no measuring with time, a year doesn't matter, and ten years are nothing. Being an artist means: not numbering and counting, but ripening like a tree, which doesn't force its sap, and stands confidently in the storms of spring, not afraid that afterward summer may not come. It does come.
:: Rilke "Letters to a Young Poet" ::


I wish I could come visit you all.  I'd post an obnoxious amount of pictures, I promise.

Arcata to visit Clarks 05.15.11



You Might Also Like

10 comments:

Emily L. said...

Glad you had such a great time (from what I can glean from your photos, which I think is a fair amount!). I live for full days with best girlfriends. Nothing else is quite like it.

Joyful said...

Great pics! glad you and Kelly had such a wonderful time.

This comment has been removed by the author.

Haha...I was trying to say what a lovely picture of you two but had to mis-spell so many times it was not fit for publication....thanks for sharing! : )

UmberDove said...

(beaming)


I love your documentation of our life.

dragon said...

My heart is so grateful to have stumbled upon your and UmberDove's blogs. Your words and photographs spark and nurture creativity.

Leiflet said...

:) You're welcome to visit us anytime! But i basically won't see you at all. Maybe 30 minutes per day?

It might be better if we wait until a relocation happens.

I think the world will take your writing seriously soon enough. I have found that if i keep chipping away, before i really know what's going on, people are interested. And if they're not, like you said, you are taking yourself seriously, and that's enough. Or at least, a necessary step.

BC said...

The animals had more pics than I did. (I realize I'm not as cute as the Sancho pup, but still...) ;)

I'm just catching up over here and HAD to tell you how much I LOVE all of these photos. So wonderful to see The Four together!!!

Snailentina said...

This post made me so happy for all of you. Then I read that quote at the end and it creeped me out a bit, because I just wrote something about waiting, I was just talking to my mom about, and... I left a quote on being an artist on another post of yours which I may say I read before this one. Ah! I love all those "creepy" connections :D message received, universe, I say. Happy Sunday!