GOOD IN THE MIDST

March 16, 2010 candacemorris 7 Comments

one
step
forward

two million
beats
around the
bush

scribbles and scratches and records of validation.
write.
write, my sweet sister.

but there is good.
good in the misty fog.
good in the sunshine.
good in the sweetest of baby girls.

good in the mid-century modern
and good in strawberries.

and when there are so many things to miss,
and so many new reasons to be angry,
and so many questions,
and so many unconscionable answers,
and so many voices to filter,
and so many reflections to combat,
and so many points of order to attend to,
and so much future to be afraid of,
and so much past to be rehashed,
and so many bottles to wash.
and so little sleep to be had.



this goodness reminds three lovely ladies that
always,
forever and ever
there is
new growth.
and there will be new
things to miss,
questions to pose,
reflections to love,
answers to be found,
american spirits to be ignited,
sleep to be slept,
 and voices to love.


On the back-porch of our eternity,
in the bottom of our bottles,
in the packs of smokes...
we shall recover. I just know it.

From this fire, she emerges so kind, so calm, so soft, so empowered.


And she even let me borrow her shirt.
Full well knowing I ruin all her clothes.

You, my big sister,
you are still one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen...
Since first I began to see.
And saw you looking down at me with those big, kind eyes.

May our minds be kind to us.
~crm

You Might Also Like

7 comments:

Tears dripping as I type this...what poignant prose & such pure love. Thank you for sharing your heart! I miss my little sis!

she said...

yes, the tears are inevitable. and you know i relate to so much of this, though on a lesser scale. YES, may our minds be kind to us. if there is one thing to plead for, this is it. sending a letter to your current address in the post tomorrow; may it reach you all on the swiftest and strongest of wings. and may you all be borne on this swiftness and strength, may you be carried, may you be held. i love you.

Unknown said...

Tears here as well. You do write beautifully my bride and my heart... and what you say is just as beautiful as how profoundly you say it. That phrase really affected me as well, "May our mind be kinds to us." How do you teach that to a child? Do you teach them to love others first so that they can know how they should love themselves, or do you teach them to love themselves that they might know what it is to love others?

emilyclare said...

your words cut straight to my heart and my soul. In your moments mentioned, similar feelings of loss and grief and hope and beauty welled up in me... And I can hear a soft and tender voice that says "I know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. A hope that does not dissappoint us.."

Cassie said...

A fragile mosaic of the messy, the ruthless, the questionable...

"forever and ever there is new growth."

A truth so hard to grapple with. Why change and growth has to be so painful at times to mean something?

I wish my arms could reach from here to there...


xoxo, C

Unknown said...

all i can see is grace in permanent ink on her delicate wrist.

Allisunny S. said...

So. Amazing.
Thank goodness for sisters :)

xoxoxox,
Allison