A long weekend...

August 30, 2009 candacemorris 6 Comments

summer's snacks

lunch

the saint and his abbey

The saint and I took Friday off and joined up with his family for our annual trip to Ocean Shores, Washington. Though the Washington coast is beautiful, it is nothing like the beaches of Southern California (both good and bad) where I grew up playing. Ocean Shores is so, um..., well...how to say...white trash. There, I said it. We basically spent our time in this little cabin (all 8.5 of us!!!eeek!) and read, puzzled, played games, ate, and slept. It was especially good to have our recently moved sister and her husband back in Washington for the event (this may or may not be praise tainted by the fact that she brought two 1.75 litters of vodka and gin for me from Ca).

fetch

brian

planting her tree

jameson neat

Morris

Wigands

Mom and Dad Morris

So after a grueling traffic jam on the way home, the saint and I consoled ourselves with Mexican food and made (I think) a rather significant decision about our lives. I think...maybe, nothing set yet...that we are moving out of the city into the country. Much more on this later.

Morris

But there is no time to linger about that, for come Tuesday afternoon, I fly down to Redding, Ca to be with my best friend and her two kids and fetus...who will come to life (IT'S MAGIC) while I am there (we are HOPPPIIINNNGGGG). I'll be there for two weeks helping out and enjoying them.

Well, and I guess that's September for you...and it is always remarkable to me how I remain so busy and don't even have a formal job!

I also want to do a report on August's 12-month challenge...stay tuned!

I'll talk to you real soon,
crm

Morris Family Vacation 2009



shhhh.

p.s.s: Am I seriously the only one on earth for whom it takes copious amounts of solitude, quiet, and introspection to really relax? So tell me how this works when with groups of people? Someone, oh someone, please write an introvert bible about how to vacation with others.

You Might Also Like

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Solitude bible... me thinks you should author this!

It may be rude, but I just leave (take a walk, go to a cafe, something). My family and friends know me well enough to know not to be offended. They also know the outcome to keeping me tethered to the crowd is that I can turn into a heinous bitch. Not many people have seen it... it's one of those "once in a blue moon" things, but oh yes, it can happen.

Devon said...

Lovely...

I think the key to being able to vacation with others is go early and alone for a few days. That way by the time they all arrive, you are rested. Perhaps??

P.S. have a wonderful trip to CA. Hope everything goes well for you and the one coming.

Dutch said...

Solitude? I think there may be something wrong with you, Candace. It's just not healthy for you to want to be alone :)

This comment has been removed by the author.

Hey! I'm Rachael and I've stumbled here from the lovely Ms. Plume's bloggity blog. I am with you on needing an immense amount of alone time to relax. Social situations take a lot out of me, but the odd thing is that I love being around people! They just wear me out. So I have to squeeze out as much alone time as possible to relax and renew myself or else I feel on edge. And nobody wants to be around me when I'm on edge. Trust me. :)

emilyclare said...

Stone fruit. Wine. Cheese. Ocean. Frolicking dog. Beautiful loving faces. What bliss.... It warms the heart to hear of your adventures, and hear your words smiling.

I too need serious amounts of solitude and introspection - and as my mum put it a few weeks back that being introverts, a good excuse for getting away from crowds for some much needed alone time is to go to the bathroom... and I guess you can get a bit of reading done there too.