Self-Care Challenge at an end. Or is it?

June 01, 2009 candacemorris 3 Comments

Congratulations. You made it through a week of moments of self-care. I received lots of great ideas and reports from many of you who took me up on this little quest. Some of my favorites:

  1. "I sit by the window of an eclectic coffeehouse, enjoying a chai latte in the breeze of the oscillating fan. I rarely frequent coffee houses as I'm not a coffee drinker, but this feels great. I guess I've chosen to do quite a bit of pampering all summer long, as I'm dedicating the time to writing, and spending a good chunk of my savings on travel. It feels like a much needed focus of energy on myself. I dedicated 2009 as the year of {me}, and it only took me til May to do something about it!!"
  2. "Alone on the porch midday enjoying the view and the quiet and San Pelligrino Aranciata with my feet up."
  3. From a new mother, "Today I bought a book for me. It has nothing to do with babies."
  4. "I was feeling not so hot, so i lazed around watching tv after making some delightful homemade soup and then went to bed early. fell asleep lying on my therapy ball, then woke up an hour later to crawl under the covers and call it a night. mmmmm. heaven."
  5. "I looked at jewelry at Whole foods and consciously treated myself to a rest."
  6. "I'm still not well, but I let myself rest. I ate simple meals and sprawled on sofa chairs, I relaxed."
  7. "A fresh pot of loose leaf tea and a moment to stop and be."
  8. "Today, for me, that meant blowing off the omni-present to-do list for an hour and making something just for me. Not for my upcoming shows, not for wholesale orders, not for the Etsy shop, but just for me. "
  9. "Cancel Date. Relax instead."
I say we did okay then. I am not quite ready to go back to the way it was, and am instead proposing a Self-Care Sunday. Each Sunday we report to each other what we've done for ourselves that day or week. You in?

We cannot possibly begin to take care of the people around us, of our dreams, of our souls unless we stop, listen, and breath. As Miguel de Unamuno says, "Self-love widens into love of all that lives."

~c.morris

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

Joanna Lee said...

What a lovely idea! I'm definitely in.

UmberDove said...

I've finally been able to sit here, lukewarm tea in hand, catching up on your week of self-care. It's rather amazing to read it all in one go (like Big reading Carrie's columns all at once and finally understanding the ebb and flow of her life), and slightly shocking the ups and downs we can experience in the span of such a short period of time.

My last week was beautiful. Everyday felt like the most exquisite type of self-care because each day, I did exactly what I wanted to do. No, let me fix that. I did exactly what made my soul burst with joy, what made it connect with the land, what fueled my inner creativity to the point of combustion. And then on Saturday night, the lowest sort of low cut me down at the knees. And the burrs stuck deep in my skin for several day. I'm still picking them out but can already feel the uplift.

I'm making plans for self-care. Today I think it will mean not cleaning the kitchen and instead, indulging in some voracious reading.

Thank you, as always, for reminding me of me.

Cassie said...

What a great challenge that should be a part of our everyday! This life can be SO draining. Thanks for sharing.