a vision in the tall grasses of self-care

June 28, 2009 candacemorris 7 Comments

close your eyes.
now open them.

you see up as you lie down.
you see the vast heated blue.
you see two swallows playing tag.
you see the wind flirting through the cedars' skirts.
you see the longest strings of grass leaning over your face as they tickle and twist.
you see the perfect way this grass frames the sky above you.
you see the sweetest heave-hoe of his sleep'ed breath.
you are napping in the field in the late summer sun.

close your eyes.
now open again.

you see the one you love as the child they once were.
you see your future.
you see that you are childhood companions.
you see how much he has taught you, for instance
you see that you've never even once reposed in such tall grass.
you see that if you can continue to reclaim the childhood you wanted, then finally and clearly
you see hope.


________
Self-Care Sunday Report:
1. Oysters fresh caught.
2. Bouquet of the sweetest peas.
3. Delightful bit of Savignon Blanc to take the edge off Saturday night's hard partying.
4. Lying in the grass and watching Abbey learn to use her puppy legs to swim.
5. Mom's cherry pie made with her freshly picked cherries.
6. A solitary wander in the garden, stealing ripened berries and fondling yellow roses.
7. Hands of warmth and love to rub all the pain away.
8. A family walk through the woods after dinner.
9. The residual good feeling of having a camera in my hands last night (totally stolen from a friend). See results below!
10. Hot, hot bath with mask.


In this season, the blessings abound.
I can hardly keep up with the contentment.


And my eyes have never been more wide-open.

candaceruth



Lewis and Gang Reunion June 2009





You Might Also Like

7 comments:

Cassie said...

I feel and see your words.
How good a feeling when you see your mate as their authentic self--free from the tulmutuousness of the every day. It's as if God heeds the reminder we are still, and ever will be, children; that life cannot ever take over where we've come from.

I have had more glimpses of mine when he was young as of recently. Having children of my own make it more possible. I see how their lives are forming and their personalities are bits of him and I. I understand now, that he is the same of his parents and I am mine. It helps better care for the easily misunderstood. It is disheartening how life creates layers, that at times, bury truths. But underneath the truth remains~
What is fragile will forever be.

Devon said...

*sigh* Reading this gave me such a deep calm and peace. I feel as though I have sighed deeper than I have in a long while. And I can feel the sun on my face. Lovely, dear.

UmberDove said...

I can't even tell you how happy it makes me to read these words from you.

Linda Lu said...

beautiful poem.

Leiflet said...

I was so, so, so, so so, so so, so so so so deeply jealous to see those pictures of you all hanging out with tice and niki. I had fun just looking at the pictures. Just pretend that i was there, all cranky and stuff. :)

Leiflet said...

Except for the ones of all the men humping each other. Have to say, i don't miss that.

Julie said...

I feel like I just lived your day. Everything you wrote--is ideal sunday of soul (sos??). I've found a hard time replacing or even coming close to sunday's at mom and dad's. And that property...California doesn't have evergreens. You might as well say it doesn't have trees.

Love you. Reading your letter tonight.