repetition makes the heart grow poignant

February 23, 2009 candacemorris 4 Comments

i broke a fatal rule today.
i am trying to forgive myself.
my head cowers in shame.
my fingers tisk with censure.

i left the house without my camera.

it was last minute, for which i give myself immense credit.
it was even a sans makeup trip, for which i also give myself credit.
but i do not forgive myself for leaving the house without my soul (there is never an excuse for such debauchery).

this afternoon, in a panic of thinking i might not leave the house today, i spontaneously decided (inasmuch as i am capable of spontaneity; this movie-date may/may not have been on a list i wrote last night and edited again today), i took myself to see "rachel getting married" and after i stepped out of the theater, already wrapped in my own pensive, post-cinematic cloud, i was seduced by the smell of salt and rain.

so i drove to the sea.
in the drizzle of gorgeous seattle rain, accompanied only by Rachmaninoff and Lolita,
i drove to my sea.

and of course. bein sur. por supuesto....
i want my camera.

i had even mentioned going out this week on a photographic sojourn, but i should know better than to force my hand than to just let my photos happen to me (which is why i established the practice of always keeping a fully-charged camera in my satchel).

but not today.
alas.
not today.

also today, (despite the editing of aformentioned mother-load of all lists) i forgot an appointment! i suppose it's the price to pay for not sitting and staring at my calendar for hours on end, and despite pangs of irresponsiblity and disorientation from the surprise at my own forgetfulness - i guess the trade off is that i stared at the sea instead of at my calendar.

i saw the sea instead of my calendar.
i saw the sea instead of my calendar.
i saw the sea instead of my calendar.


the scalded


because repetition indeed makes the heart grow poignant,
~crm

p.s.
my cat is catching mice! for three mornings in a row, i awaken to her innocently batting around house mice in an attempt to make them play again. one on hand, i am happy that the mice is no longer in my house, but it also means there are mice in my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i suppose being a pet owner is not for the squeamish.

p.s.s.
cat bath

my cat likes the water. for the last couple of nights, when i take my hot bath, she sits on the side and tries to bat the water with her paw, or at least get as close to the water as possible (including standing on my torso or exposed knee). last night, she was playing with the water so much that she made the side slippery and her backside totally fell in! she scatted to the far corners of the house and wouldn't allow me close to towel her. i assume she will be no longer involved in bathtime.

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

Sara said...

I wish I could drive to MY sea!

she said...

part of me thinks, you saw through your own eyes the entire time without a lens. not that a lens ruins things, in fact it often lends further and deeper seeing because it enables us to view an image, return to the point of its capture time and again with different eyes. on the other hand, i've always thought there was something heartbreaking about having to capture as much of something as you can without any other devices...you see what you see and there's an imprint on your retina, your brain, that was taken only once, and will fade and change as the body and memory's cells die and regenerate.

well. i guess it's just a day for deep thinking...

What "she" said! thinking the exact asme thing & went to write it & "she" beat me to it...

Dutch said...

Sometimes I'm about to leave my house, and I realize I forgot my camera, and I run inside to get it, but then I think, "You know, I'm just going to leave it. I don't want to feel tied to it. Even though I might miss out on some amazing moments, that is okay. I'm just going to experience today."