"myself. always myself." sylvia plath

August 02, 2008 candacemorris 3 Comments

Saturday has brought with its normalcy a bit of benevolence for this melancholy gal.

it is the first weekend joel and i have had no formal plans since May 21...and we decided to spend it walking...to escape the pressure and restlessness of our home.

we walked for 4 hours, unaware of clocks and consciousness. it started with a lovely breakfast at B&O Espresso and then we just wandered in and out of some stores, but our ultimate goal was Interlaken Park, roughly 2 miles from our house. It is a gorgeous park with 51 acres of forrest smack in the middle of the city. I love this place.

On the way, I found a bookstore and walked right into a copy of The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath.
I then had a few moments to read her words. Her ancient voice sharpened my senses, awakened and pierced my desires...
"Anesthetizing myself again, and pretending nothing is there.
There is the curse of this vanity.
My inability to loose myself in a character, a situation.

Always myself. Myself."
p517

I of course, bought her words, hook like and sinker...right on out the store.

We came home to a package from one of my oldest friends, Frankie. I cannot BELIEVE this gift.So, this is a book of Steinbeck's personal journal that he wrote to his publisher during the writing of East of Eden. He would use the letters as a warm up before he started into the novel. He kept them in the box you see on the cover, notice Timshol in Hebrew at the bottom. Frankie sent me a FIRST EDITION copy of this book, and I got sucked right in. My dearest Frankie, how you knew this would undo me. Many, many thanks.

"I shall tell my sons this story against the background of the county I grew up in and along the river I know and do not love very much. For I have discovered that there are other rivers. And this my boys will not know for a long time nor can they be told. A great many never come to know that there are other rivers. " p4

So it is through the rest of my evening that Joel and I find tired legs, happy working hands accompanied by Boards of Canada, and the wings of writers come before me.

How I long, how I aspire, how I dream.
Being a self-starter is a bitch.





I have a little question about photo preferences. Do you like viewing them on the external web page like I usually do or the slide show embedded in the blog, like the above?

~easing into the twilight,
crm

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

THE JOURNALS OF S.P. is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES.
But I've told you this before.
I
poured
myself
over
each
page
the
first
time
I
read
it.

UmberDove said...

I love these photos from today. And I am so glad that you had a day away, a day to play, a day live in this fine city.

It was a good day for walks.

(and while I like the slide show imbeded, it makes my download time slower and I always end up clicking on over to your Picassa anyways so I can see all of your gorgeousness up close and personal).

I'm so glad for you that you had a 'down' weekend. That park looks amazing, put that on the list for next time when I visit. Good photos, my love. I prefer them NOT in the slide show b/c they are too small and quick and I can't take it all in well enough. XO