decidedly unread and 50% water

June 16, 2008 candacemorris 4 Comments

http://thebooklings.blogspot.com/ is not getting the reading it needs.

in other musings,

spring is in the air. or, summer. i don't know. i just know that i am in love with joel again...all over again. it's lovely and feels as light as spring.

it was reinforced by my conversation with my sister teresa last night. she told me about one of the most beautiful moments of her life, and i am going to steal it and share it because it's really stunning.

her close friend's brother just passed away, and she attended the funeral. they scattered the ashes in the ocean by san diego, but this was no casting of ashes over a boat. instead the family asked any/everyone who felt comfortable to come swim and scatter. teresa donned a wet suit and paddled out to the sea where she belongs. (my sister is made of 80% water and 20% fire. her big eyes glisten with the dewy elements of her being.)

she laid back and floated for 2-3 minutes of solitude and found within herself the desire to be laid to rest at sea when the time comes. this realization of her own inevitability of death brought a new desire to live into her soul.

picturing my teresa floating in the ocean brings the 50% water of which i am made crashing to my own eyes. she was lighter, refreshed, carried by the sea in all it's tumult and solidarity. she was at home.

after this experience, she found within her a rebirth of love for her own dear husband. the taste of mortality has sparked something in their marriage, and the sharing of it has sparked something in mine.

her happiness brings me a taste of mine.

“To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror, to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror.” Frank Herbert

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

UmberDove said...

That is the most beautiful and somber story I have heard in a long while. I yearn for an experience like that one, where recognition of life becomes so very temporary, tangible and precious.


By the way, what it the other %50?

umber,
I was using the four humors described by shakespeare to describe my sister. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlegmatic

I am 50% phlegmatic (water) and 50%melancholic (black bile!).

Hah...but if i were talking about the five elements in the japaneese and hindu tradition, I would be 50%water (intuition and imagination), 20% wood (associated with depression and altruism), and 30% fire (strength and restlessness).

I agree with Umber! Thanks for today's post CRM:)

What are the other Japindu (wordsplice) elements? I'm off to see this for myself.

Your letter came to me today.
Thank God.
Thank you.
XO

the five elements:
water
earth
fire
wind
heaven

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_elements_%28Japanese_philosophy%29