a writer

September 02, 2010 candacemorris 7 Comments

Making My Way


"There is within my own definition an incredulity about being a 'writer.'  But truly, here I am with pen, paper, and thoughts communicated upon the page.  I am a writer.  That it was always this simple gives me glee.  I know for some it remains paramount, but I feel that public recognition of this fact does not really matter at all.  The catch?  I really must write to be thusly defined - not 'have written' for then I WAS a writer - not 'will write' for then I am only ever always BECOMING a writer, one elusive day. Today I write, therefore...today I am a writer. Today is all that matters."


The above is an excerpt from my journal...written this morning while Clara banged her cheerio bowl on her high-chair tray.  Ever since writing the blog post last week wherein I committed to myself to actually WORK on my writing projects (aside from correspondence, journaling, and blogging), I have really never felt so good about writing.

I've had only a few rules.
- Be gentle with myself.
- Set a timer for 30 minutes.

It's been fascinating to discover that the particular subject I'm writing about is a torrential downpour of thoughts and words.  I hope to be finished with it in November.


It just feels good to be working.

In the meantime, I've been reading.  Annie Dillard's "The Writing Life" may very well be the best book I've read all year.  It is so inspiring.  Since I also committed to a "quite time" every morning (while Clara naps of course), I am reminded yet again of something I always told my students.  When looking for inspiration to write, READ.

Although she does not outright claim this, I've deduced Dillard's formula for a writer, which is by no means complete, for I have yet to finish the book.  Thus far a writer must have the following:

: solitude :
: physical exertion :
: a schedule :

I am good with the first and the last, now for a nightly Salsa class.
Maybe the saint can build me a dance studio.

Here's to work.
Here's to the writer.
Here's to homemade chicken pot pie for dinner,

You Might Also Like

7 comments:

I cant wait to read what you've been working on :)

I have so missed reading your blog. This post was pure magic.

Off to journal now . . .

xoxo

Oh, I don't want to sound presumptuous, but I feel so, so proud. So happy for you. So hopeful about the work you are doing. So inspired to continue on, myself.

Writing used to be something that I just did, it just happened, I never thought about it, just put pen to paper. In the last few days I have been reminded that it is something I should set time aside to do once again. At some point I stopped, because I figured what was the point? No one reads what I write but me?
I am just now realizing that for me, it isn't about anything more than writing for myself- for my soul and well being and comfort.
I love visiting your blog for so many reasons, but mostly when I read your posts I feel like I can see you typing them - I can feel the thought put into the words. That is special my friend :-)

- thinking it is time to invest in a new journal, and write for no reason but to write.
Jaime
PS - also thinking it has been too long since having chicken pot pie!

SR: Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Rosers: Le sigh. I often wonder if anyone notices at all, but thank you for saying so. Glad you found some ease and inspiration.

LD: The pride, sans presumption, goes both ways, my fellow scribe.

Jaime: What an amazing thing to say. I appreciate that you can see the intentionality...and see me doing it. It just feels, i don't know, intimate somehow.

p.s. the chx pot pie was not great...and for the 1.5 hours I spent on my feet, meh.

emilyclare said...

as is my experiences with pot pies - the anticipation and the promise is great, but the result not always... perhaps its all worth it for the gleeful staring into the oven and the first spoon?

Still, I love you.

And I'd happily eat a pot pie of your words any night, because they life strung eloquently, unashamedly, raw, beautiful - and good for the soul. Keep at it x

That physical exertion part is important. Everything gets screwed up if it's ignored......