an old discovery

September 03, 2010 candacemorris 5 Comments


This morning's quiet brought me to poetry. 
 It was simply the only thing that would do for a melancholy, pensive Friday morn.


You can imagine my delight to open this old book and find the most endearing of inscriptions...
written by my beloved sister in January of 2001.


The back of the book is worn, watered, and quite used. 
 I may have dropped it in the bath a few times since receiving it.


I went through a few poems, annotating and scribbling my thoughts...seeing the notes I made in 2001...
which are incidentally not much different than my initial responses nine years older.


At one point, I stumbled upon a word I didn't know. I felt quite conflicted about this because I've committed to unplugging for this quiet time and I use the internet to look up words.  Then I remembered that before technology existed, there were BOOKS.  I really quite ashamedly forgot that one can find the meaning of words without the use of technology.  I happened to be sitting in my library and my eyes landed directly upon the dic-tion-ary.  How serendipitous!

How easily we forget that which we once soley relied upon.

You Might Also Like

5 comments:

What a lovely inscription, the two of you have such a beautiful relationship.

and it is so necessary to unplug from the computer sometimes.

Hope your weekend brings some sunshine and comfort.

I couldn't live without my thesaurus. And that really was a lovely sentiment from your sister. The bits and pieces of your relationship that come through your blog always make me a bit wistful. I wish I had had a sister.
Might have been better for it!

Have a wonderful weekend, lady.

Joyful said...

What joy to unearth treasures we have had all along. Nice to see the inscription from your beautiful sister who you have been sharing with us.

It's been too long since I read Sylvia Plath's poetry... I have been thinking about it... How convenient that I am sitting in a library - thanks for the push ;)

she said...

the similarity of t's handwriting to yours kinda gives me the chills. as an adopted kid, that kind of family resemblance has always fascinated me. how can 2 totally different people have such similar penmanship??

and of course it thrills me to no end that you're reading poetry :)