THE THINGS THAT MAKE IT XMAS TO ME

December 17, 2009 candacemorris 4 Comments

  • peppermint ice cream
  • eggnog
  • crappy plastic wreaths with candles set in the middle
  • handmade red towels that adorn surfaces
  • pandora's jazzy christmas station
  • a crock pot full of cider or mulled wine, accompanied by corny mugs all around
  • ornaments found at the dollar store
  • this horrible fake garland i always put up
  • the smell of the tree all throughout the house
  • watching:
    • white christmas
    • rudolph the red-nosed reindeer (claymation)
    • christmas vacation
    • the nightmare before christmas
    • miracle on 34th street (always watched with joel's dad)
    • it's a wonderful life


to be continued...
~crm

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

I just put together a cocktail menu and decided upon appetizers for my first ever Christmas cocktail party. I am going to make my own eggnog for the first time ever (I also found a recipe that calls for aging your eggnog up to a year before consuming so I might even make next year's eggnog).

I don't get to watch claymation Rudolph because for some strange reason she believes that moving clay goes against nature and gives her motion sickness. However, she has never seen It's a Wonderful Life so I get to expose her to that.

In closing, I believe that everyone should add A Very Sunny Christmas Special to their holiday tradition.

emilyclare said...

Nightmare before Christmas, a classic around here too! I love your list of real and kitchy sights and sounds.

Some things that make it Christmas to me:
-Feeling HOT and sticky; subsequently the light cotton dresses and the dangling of legs in the pool
-seafood and tropical fruit (think prawns and mangoes)
-Lighting the fifth Advent candle, and making a fresh wreath from Christmas bush (a native flower)
-Little weaved baskets my mum fills with nuts and sweets
-Sufjan's Christmas renditions... and mum playing the piano
-Lazying on a lounge somewhere, watching dusk sprawl late into the night

UmberDove said...

"Darby O'Gill and the Little People"

Totally not a Christmas movie (at all) but for some reason it was ALWAYS aired late evening on the 22nd or 23rd of December and I would ALWAYS watch it and that was the movie that symbolized Christmas time to me. I don't think I even realized it's completely unrelated until sometime in my teens.

Plus it's young Sean Connery and Ireland. Hot.

Emily L. said...

Oooo I absolutely add "The Muppet Christmas Carol"! Finally bought it yesterday and had a fit of excitable joy!