BRAVO

October 19, 2009 candacemorris 9 Comments

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
I have been a busy bee.

The saint and I are exhausted from one diverting weekend.  Out late sipping Spanish wine Friday night, out late at the Opera Saturday night, eating cake with Grandpa on Sunday...I tell you, it's been hard to recover (I am using this excuse to remain in my pajamas after having slept a rather naughty amount - though I confess to needing 9-10 hours of sleep per night (HEY, Sylvia Plath spoke a similar confession in a letter to her mother.  I am therefore justified).  My hot tea and my bowl of granola will help me...plus this intimate push of fog is wooing me into cognition.

But I must tell you of the Opera...



Back when I was out of town for two weeks, my lover missed me when he turned on the classical music station (I am a sucker for listening to classical, romantic, and chamber music).  The station was hosting an advertisement for La Traviata, and he decided to come home and purchase tickets right away.  Later that night, while we were speaking on the phone of my horrible migraine and his not being there to rub it away, he consoled me with taking me to the opera.  His one condition?  I had to buy myself a new dress (if you have just joined me, you may now well get why he is named the saint).

So last week I scoured a few thrift and consignment stores and found THE PERFECT 1960s green wool dress.  Alas, it was handmade and one size too small for my big Norwegian bones, so I found another suitable black dress that was just stylized enough for my new shoes (an $80 pair acquired for $25!!!!) and hat.

That evening, I slipped into a hot bath to prepare for the night.  I got to thinking about how I often need to take a serious amount of time to ready myself for events not only because it might take longer than I expected to acheive the desired affect, but more so that I can rest my soul - so that my feminine graces carry me throughout the evening.  I can therefore be confident because I am rested and have pampered myself.

I got to thinking about how many woman probably haven't felt that way since perhaps their wedding day.  Society allows for a woman to pamper herself that day...a long hot bath, a massage, a lazy breakfast in luxury...a bride is ENCOURAGED to make herself and her beauty the focus of the morning.  Why does this not occur in any cultural way AFTER the wedding?  I have long since copied my wedding morning by getting ready for events in the same way (and girls, this requires giving yourself at LEAST an hour or two to get ready), I realize how much more relaxed, sexy, and graceful the event becomes for me. 

So when is the last time that you scheduled a licentious amount of  readying time?  Light a candle, have a pre-funk cocktail, find your center, and be your sexy self.

Ladies and Gents, that marks the end of the self-help catagory of this entry.



The very first scene of La Traviata brought tears...and as they cascaded down my rosy cheeks, I grabbed the saint's arm and quietly thanked god for a man who sees what I need with imagination; for a man with a resplendent tool belt for love.  I wanted to shout my love and appreciation of him from the treetops of my soul.  This is the affect the Opera has upon my soul; now you can see why he does it.





 

3.5 hours later, the very last scene knocked us back into our seats like a roller coaster ride, and we clapped and clapped all the way home.  Another bath and I was off to bed. 

Today promises to be not as fun as my weekend.  Taking Lolita for an emissions test (bleck), and today is officially laundry day here at Bookling Manor.  Hope your Monday looks good on you.




You Might Also Like

9 comments:

jordan said...

lucky. in so many ways.
love the outfit too - you looked great!

Steve and I have always loved the way your Joelio takes care of you. That man is such a keeper!

Cassie said...

Why, yes! You did marry a Saint! How romantic and lovely your night and weekend sounds like it was. How great it is that you take care of yourself they way you do. In fact, a bath and a glass of wine sounds delightful right now. I can't remember the last time I had a bath...

Oh, I must not forget to mention how fantastic you looked! Love the dress and hat!

CBM

emilyclare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emilyclare said...

Two baths in one night! I am a serious bath enthusiast but that outdoes my nightly record (note to self: will find chance to go to opera and try out two baths in one night).

And yes, you do look smashing Mrs!

Devon said...

Opps, is that what you're supposed to do on your wedding day? ;)

BTW: Shazam!

she said...

you two are so beautiful. i love you.

(p.s. that HAT. that DRESS. that WOMAN.)

Leiflet said...

Sylvia Plath did get 9-10 hours of sleep a night... but wasn't she also chronically depressed and committed suicide? :)

Good to know you had a night to just indulge yourself. It's funny how we find some kind of badge of honor in treating our bodies/experiences as mere shells. There's some residual aesceticism, if you ask me.

And by the way, Lisa did NOT get the chance to pamper herself on her wedding day. It was go go go go go go go all day long, and i hear that other brides have the same experience. You must have had one nice wedding day!

UmberDove said...

For the record - you EARNED lazing around in your pjs - I was a first hand witness to the 700 boxes you lugged out of my apartment and onto the moving truck!

For the other records - I think you are wise beyond your years, graceful and beautiful to boot.



p.s. You also clean up nice for a country-slicker.