Five Things Friday*

August 17, 2012 candacemorris 1 Comments




  1. These days, breakfast looks like frozen left-over pancakes, MAYBE some eggs if I have time to cook them, and coffee made from the weekend.  I've taken to making a french press and then refrigerating it for the week so I can grab it quickly.  All of these things are sad.  However, one should not have to chose between food and showering, so I am trying to make food as easy as possible.
  2. I'm off to the DOL to get my licence renewed.  It has been expired for some time, but I was kinda too busy having a baby to notice.  I chuckled to myself last week when the store clerk pointed it out while I bought wine.  Huh.  That would never have happened to previous Candace.  Does having a baby mean I get to be more oblivious to things?! Seen this way, it can be an exciting prospect.
  3. Cicero believes that the aim of mankind is to "uncloud the mind."  This is a beautiful notion, Joel pointed out, until we consider developmentally disabled humans.  He said he wants our daughter to be ever filled with wonder at the universe, eternally curious about things like trees, and I couldn't agree more.  Well, I could agree more if she ALSO became the perfect fusion of Terry Gross, Allison Goldfrapp, Charlotte Gainsbourg, and Tina Fey.
  4. What did women do before breast pumps?!  I suppose they didn't have three Campari Greyhounds (86 vodka, substitute gin).  Well, today I had to pump and dump NOT because of booze, but because of dairy.  I tried an awesome baked Mac N Cheese last night, and it was just too much for her.  Oh so sad to see big tears streaming down her face with stomach pain.  Back to the no-dairy trial for me.  I am very glad to have a plethora of frozen (dairy free-er) breast-milk to offer her.  She takes the bottle like a champ, so I am very happy about that.
  5. Drink the drink mentioned above.  Recipe is as follows: 
Fill a shaker with ice
Pour in 1.5 - 2.0 ounces of gin
(note: feel free to use a lower-grade gin here since the Campari will mask it anyway)
Fill the shaker roughly 3/4 full of grapefruit juice
Pour a float of Campari to taste.  I use probably a 4-second pour.
Shake vigorously.
Pour into highball, garnish with rosemary.


Also,  I wrote 80% of this blog post one-handed.





*I am unabashedly stealing this from Umber, so my apologies to her, though I know she require none.

You Might Also Like

1 comments:

UmberDove said...

So what you're saying is that you need me to come deliver donuts and sauté up some greens, right? BE RIGHT THERE.

Oh and p.s., while I'd love to take credit for the FTF, it was all Mari's baby...