thoughts on the remedies and botherations of stay-cations

August 30, 2011 candacemorris 3 Comments

photo

The car-planning session

photo

photo

Though taking a week off to stay at home and rest isn't a revolutionary idea, surely it is an inspired one.  Joel and I were trying to get to Hawaii this month, but realized that we simply couldn't afford it in the capacity we wanted (I'm a bit of a primadonna and do not vacation on the cheap).  However, the idea of saying goodbye to a week off as well as those gorgeous tropics was a bit more than we could handle.  I suggested we just take the time off and stay the hell home.  You know, read a book, water the tomatoes, etc.  Not terribly exciting, but I cannot tell you how much we both looked forward to the week.

Alas, I must tell you that despite these great expectations, the week was angsty for us both.  I am glad we didn't drop a ton of money on a nice hotel room when really what we needed most was just to sleep, and sleep, and sleep some more.  I'm happy to not have bought airfare or a rental car or a surfing lesson in lieu of a quiet bookstore, many trips to the pub, wandering a garden, and watching the ocean.

Vacations are tricky.  Joel and I are moody people.  One day he woke up cranky and couldn't shake it until evening; the very next day brought a similar sourness for me.  There were days where we were just completely uninspired, or preoccupied with work, or able to carry on any kind of intellectual conversation.

When people asked how the stay-cation was going, we mustered a shrug and said it was good; don't get me wrong, we were so grateful to have a life where a week off is feasible.  However, despite the mehness of the week, what I didn't anticipate were the benefits post-vacation. Joel and I woke up Monday morning with energy and motivation, both heading back to work.  He said everyone there seemed so tired, haggard.  He was buzzing around the office with stories of his kegerator project and his research on electric cars.  My coworkers also commented on how rested I seemed.



photo


photo
In the poetry section
photo

And I cannot tell you how nice it was to come back to work from time off NOT exhausted from travel, money stress, unpacking, laundry, and hangovers.  Though the time was not epic or overwhelmingly fun, Joel  and I are seeing our lives more clearly, with a fresh and crisp vision.  We see tail lights replaced, books read, projects complete, beer drank, and plenty of sleep had.  It's good. So good.

photo
photo
photo

Now I say to people who ask, "That was the best fucking vacation I've ever had." I say it with zero angst.

Take that, exhaustion.


You Might Also Like

3 comments:

lulu said...

beautifully simple, simply beautiful.

all things good, life.

besos!

What a lovely, honest story.
Isn't it weird about the mood thing - how you sometimes just can't shake it off? I'm starting to think maybe it's part of something - of creativity returning, of a certain part of the brain needing to rest or whatever, instead of just thinking it sucks and thereby making it worse...

emilyclare said...

sounds a little reminiscent of our week long holiday at home a while back; I was utterly content preparing good things to eat, sewing, reading, contemplating, sleeping in, tending to the garden... the thought of adventuring out was exhausting. And yet A and I found ourselves at times; at odds with each other, grumpy, in love, quiet, talkative, restful.