let the lists begin - the 2010 soundtrack

December 29, 2010 candacemorris 4 Comments


It's the end of the year.  In Candace speak, this translates to LIST after LIST.  Things I DID do, things I WANT to do, places I've been, places I'll go, people I love, people I hate...wait.  Well, you get the idea.  I've got a few to share with you because I think they are interesting and if you are reading, you probably think I am interesting, so you are now subjected to what I find interesting.   So. It. Goes.



Today's list is my discography of 2010...the soundtrack of my life this last year.
In order of appearance.

No disclaimers.


Okay, here's my disclaimers...ahem, explanations.

One:
 I love Goldfrapp.  The end.
"Head First" wasn't my favorite at first, but it has really grown on me and I adore it.
(I think I might die and go to Zanadu heaven from this video)

Two:
Arcade Fire's "Neon Bible" is by no means a new record, but when I moved to San Diego for a few months at the beginning of the year to be with my sister, she had the CD in her car.  I listened to it over and over and over and I began to fall in love with it.  

Three:
Because I was introduced to Arcade Fire this year, I found it serendipitous that they released a new album that very same year.  I loved Suburbs from the beginning, and I do not take to new music very easily.

Four:
Kelly introduced me to Fleet Foxes when I stayed with her this last summer.  I had heard of them, but figured they were another indie band I wasn't interested in hearing (Band of Horses, Mumford whatever) and cast them off.  One afternoon as Kelly was painting in her studio and I was writing in the neighboring room, I heard her listening to it and I asked her to burn me a CD for the 12-hour trip home.  I haven't removed it from my CD player since.  That was 6 months ago.  I should really stop being such a snob...but golly, it's so very fun.

Five:
The Velvet Goldmine Soundtrack.
My sister loves David Bowie, and though I had always loved him by proxy, I was a bit of a poser in my knowledge and appreciation.  She finally sat me down to watch this amazing and campy film, and we all realized what a kick-ass soundtrack it boasts.  Now I can't say I know any Bowie better, but I am now a loyal fan of Velvet Underground and Lou Reed.


This is the new-to-me music I've absorbed into my soul.
I do feel obliged to mention that without Radiohead, I would not have survived the year.
Particularly "In Rainbows"

And YOUUUUUU?
What tunes this year have kept you spinning right round, baby?

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

jordan said...

fleet foxes - yes. others for me: john mayer (don't judge) whatever his new cd is called; foo fighters echoes silence patience and grace; city and colour live; david gray - life in slow motion and draw the line; and likely others that keep me going on a regular basis. i love music.

Melissa said...

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. One of my favorite concerts I've ever been to and because they make me unbelievably happy while I listen to them. Just try and frown while Alex and Jade sing to each other in Home. Best songs from the album are 40 Day Dream and Brother.

Townes Van Zandt. I watched the documentary Be Here to Love Me and fell head over heals. It's not my usually style, but I made quite a connection to his music. Highly recommend the documentary.

Shortbus Soundtrack. This movie is AMAZING and the soundtrack is just as good.

Iron & Wine. They always always always make me cry and I love them for that.

Deadmau5. Seriously addicting.

Penguin Cafe Orchestra. I just discovered them via Pandora the other day. I've been searching for something classical, but not so uptight. Modern but not new age. Minimalist but not boring. PCO is pretty damn perfect.

Chris said...

Fleet Foxes is a great choice! Works well on a beach.

For me -

Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite - This was my sound of the summer and was even listening to it while working a music festival with metal bands.

Groove Armada - Goodbye Country Hello Nightclub - Amazing album that has a great rhythm all the way through.

Delphic - Acolyte - Fantastic live, fantastic in the studio.

Ellie Goulding - Had a great start to the year but then believed in her own hype too much.

Lights - Had never heard of her then was on stage with her and got hooked.

Others - LostProphets, L'amour La Morgue, Limp Bizkit, Gary Numan, Norah Jones, Roots Manuva, The Prodigy.

I've been reading your blog for a few months now...I love your humor.
It's right up my alley :)
It was time to come out and say hi!

I'm a Goldfrapp fan myself and besides that I listen to the heck out of:
the Smiths/Morrissey
the Pixies
Stars
Thom Yorke
Depeche Mode
Cocteau Twins
Bjork
Vampire Weekend
Xavier Rudd
Matt & Kim
Roy Orbison
Mumford & Sons
Mos Def
Rodrigo y Gabriela

wheww...I know I'm forgetting others. Music is oxygen.

:)