vignettes of a weekend in april

April 06, 2009 candacemorris 4 Comments

how goes your mid-afternoon monday? seattle is a bright and cheery 60 degrees and i am anxious to attend to my walking errands and soak up the benevolence of mother nature. before i do so, i wanted to share some vignettes of my weekend and report on some new growth*!

this weekend was so beautiful! it really feels like spring here, but even as i look at online spring apparel, i realize seattle's spring is still a wee bit chilly! though i may not be able to wear something like this:

i was able to leave the house without my heavy coat! hurrah for cast off weights! the saint and i had a wild hare to get out of the house, so we went yard saling by iphone. i highly recommend it! we picked up some old records and two books. we then had a late lunch of a meat pie and pint... the day was completed by a rousing gomes game night and too much tequila.

hope you get a taste of my weekend-


to the sounds of weed whackers and smell of cut grass, i go!
~candace


*i thought i had killed my lipstick plant. she has been struggling all winter with our subterranean troglodyte cavernous dwelling...but i woke up on friday and noticed new growth. what spring joy is mine - how deeply satisfying. this is so because i am somewhat new to this mothering of nature. it does much for my soul to know that even if i wasn't given certain talents in childhood, i can recapture the fascination of childhood. new growth and greenery has everything to do with this. don't you think?

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

I do not know the temperature of today but I know that I rode my bicycle to work in shorts and a t-shirt and arrived with a sweat soaked back where my bag rode. There was a light breeze that I am sure many people enjoyed, but I could taste the odius breath of the sun and knew that I would be far too soon glutted on the unbearable heat of Redding in summer. I am glad that you find hope in spring, it just reminds me of the living hell that is to come.

I wish I could be with YOU this weekend.
RW will be away. In Seattle actually! It just doesn't seem fair.

When it comes to plants, never lose hope. They're like strange little green humans -- they draw inside themselves on occasion and you'll hum and haw over top of them and attempt to nurture them to smithereens and then one day you'll give up trying to mother them and a few days later they'll push something new and green up out of their skin. Unexpectedly. I know. It's happening to the orchid I keep in my shower at the minute. I had all but given up on it and finally it's thrusting a new bright green spear up into the atmosphere.

It's quite uncanny.

I know I could read a plant's mind if it weren't for all that chloroplastial humming and singing they do. It's downright noisy.

Thanks for a peek at your weekend. I love to see snapshots of your pretty doll face and perfect blondie bob out on the streets of Seattle.

You're my sun
on the other side of these mountains.

she said...

what a happy weekend post. i loved reading it. i especially loved your friday evening photo, as well as the saint's subtle trepidation...the first made me sigh and the second made me smile.

she.

UmberDove said...

Oh troglodyte! I must admit I am equally pleased the lipstick is puckering up (in a good way - I realize that sounds a bit wrinkly) and that you used one of my super-secret-satisfaction words (the big T).