giving away some self-care

May 07, 2010 candacemorris 16 Comments

A few years ago, I lost a considerable amount of weight on Weight Watchers.  In the time since then, I had lost my motivation to care as vigilantly for my physical being and gained back over half of what I lost.  These last weeks, I've been beating around the bush (and beating myself up) about getting back in the saddle and re-prioritizing this here goal of mine.

Because when the shiet hits the fan, this little lady heads straight for the corner baker's.

I decided to dust myself off, kick up my spurs
 (can one kick up a spur?  I fear I've reached the end of my cowgirl acumen) and get back in the fight.


So I knew I needed to be creative about new ways to comfort myself.  This week, I set up a little goal.  If I lost any weight at all (even 2 ounces), I would treat myself to a much needed manicure/pedicure.

Well, the week went by and it was harder than I remember.
That first step usually is, bein' all out of the habit and such.

But I stepped on the scale Tuesday night and 
HHHHOOOOOTTTTIIINNNANNNIEEE!
(is that what cowgirls holler?)

I had lost!  And MORE than an ounce, by god.



Last night, I took my tired old feet and my worn out old hands, and I did right by them.
After all, they sure do a lot for me.
I wanted to make sure they knew I appreciate it.

That got me thinking about YOU.
How have you celebrated yourself this week?

Tell me!
(Don't make me come over there and pistol whip you)

In fact, I have decided to host a little giveaway.  Just leave a comment below answering this question, and one lucky cowgirl will be chosen at random to receive their choice of nail polish from OPI.  If you happen to be a cowBOY, well then I am sure you can have your choice of nail polish too. 
WINK.
SPIT.

Well shoot.  
Have a dern great weekend, and I'll see you next week to let you know the winner of this here contest.

~crm

You Might Also Like

16 comments:

Huff'nPuff said...

I am so spitting mad...they dont have any of them there donut places around these parts and Im still fatter'n a cow! Well I'm aim'n to cut out them there omemade tortillas and such and lose these here love handles that aren't all that lovely nor much fun to handle....see ya next week ta give ya my count!

I am in just the same boat, trying to remember that a bubble bath or a run makes me feel much better than a bowl of ice cream does. Much better.

SUCH a good idea. Sounds silly, but I really need to schedule some time for myself. For some reason it is the hardest thing for me to justify - can you believe it ? I struggle justifying doing nice things for myself!
:-)
Jaime

Josie said...

Every Friday after completing a crap-ton of homework, I go to a sandwich shop and write like the dickens till 2 AM.

Not as personal as your lovely mani/pedi, but it sure feels therapeutic!

I don't kill anyone. Not because they don't deserve it, but because I don't want to go to jail.

Unknown said...

If I finish all my chores today.. I'll be taking myself to Fry's! Yeehaw!

april said...

I love to curl up with a good book or watch a movie all cuddled up.

or

If there is a movie playing in the theater that I want to see that is even better because then I am not tempted to eat while watching because theater food is OUTRAGEOUSLY priced!

Also when I lose weight buying smaller sized clothing is the ULTIMATE reward!

Unknown said...

I just spent all day selling my stuff at a garage sale and I a am going to use some of my newfound cash to treat myself to a massage :)

Mari said...

Even though I'm an enthusiast of your wonderful/beautiful blog, I have never commented because I've been afraid I would sound overly in-love with you and then you would fear me.

BUT--when there's an opportunity to win NAIL POLISH FROM OPI (I am already dreaming of something from the new/amazing Shrek collection...) I will put my fear aside and comment!


Okay, self-reward: I've been COOKING lately for myself! I live alone in a teensy apartment with a kitchen the size of a box of Franzia, and I always complain that it's hard for me to find cheap, local, beautiful food in Chicago (I used to work at the Pike Place Market so I was seriously spoiled)...but I realize that cooking for myself makes me feel 100 times better about everything. It makes my body AND soul happy, specially when there's a (relatively) modest dessert involved.

she said...

hmm. hasn't been a great week on the self care front, honestly - but as strange as this may sound, probably the best thing i did for myself was to involve MORE people at a social gathering that was supposed to be a one-on-one with me and a particularly difficult person. there was an opportunity to expand the circle which i took readily; the person didn't mind at all; and i was saved from being on the spot, directly engaged with aforementioned difficulty on a night when i was already exhausted.

i'm afraid that's the best i have at the moment...i'll try to do better this coming week :)

Whit said...

I just completed my first week back to work, and decided to take my lovelies and myself out to a celebratory dinner. Donning my most comfortable three inch heels, I realized that I was desperately out of practice on both accounts. My feet were in agony, but the spirit was flying!

Allisunny S. said...

What a great giveaway! I know this sounds more like work, but it wasn't: I made a list of ten things that were being put off and were driving me crazy and I resolved to do at least five.
I did it! :)
My mental pie chart felt a lot more roomy afterwards :)

xoxoxox,
Allison

Devon said...

Yippe-Kie-Oh! You go girl!!

K said...

I came upon your blog via Lizzie Derksen.
I have recently discovered the wonder that is aquasize. It helps me to work out and get fit and also brings me so much happiness.
My friend and I go 30 minutes early to class and sit in the hot tub and talk about how lovely it is to be on a tropical vacation together. A little imagination will go a long way.
In an attempt to slow down my hectic life, I have completely stopped showering. I have a bath every day now. What a luxury.

a few months ago, i wrote an article about a natural soap-maker in the rural part of my area. then i did a follow-up post about her business on my blog once i actually had the chance to try her soaps. i don't usually buy myself soaps (or anything) in bulk, but they're so alluring and suchhh a self-treat. i've been happily living on clary sage & vanilla when i shower. it is definitely one small (big) part of my day i look forward to after 60+ hour work weeks !

i have a habit of giving away soaps (and a lot of things) to share the love, but i hope to get some lemon verbena friday night, when i stop in, for the bar i gifted a few weeks ago.

here was my follow-up post.

http://thegardenharlot.blogspot.com/2010/04/fisher-mill-road-treasure-follow-up-on.html

this is her site.

http://www.amberhillsherbsandgifts.com/

she needs much revamping on her site but works another full-time job and has a lot to try to keep up with.

she makes soap make sense ! i was more about body wash before i found her au naturale shop.

UmberDove said...

Is it just irony that I missed this post completely?






Talking to you was the best self-care of my last week.