LOVE-HANGOVER

February 15, 2010 candacemorris 5 Comments

So, how was your V-day weekend?  Did you overdose on the love-fest, maybe hit that bottle a bit too hard?  Well, thank god it's all over, right?  We had an immensely quiet weekend (not necessarily planned that way, but our moods dictated destiny) and spent Friday night at an annoying (read: NON CITY) restaurant and went to see a movie (Avatar, more on that later).  Saturday was super duper lazy and we sat by the fire sipping wine most of the day and worked on both of our blogs (CHECK OUT THE BUTTONS I MADE ON THE SIDEBAR!  THEN ROLL OVER THEM!  SEE THE COLOR CHANGE?  IT TOOK SO FREAKING MUCH TIME, IT'S QUITE SILLY!).  We did leave at one point to grab some steaks and asparagus at the store...so that was refreshing.  We made a delicious dinner, talked into the wee hours of the morning, danced around the house, and watched Footloose (more on that later).  Sunday morning, I woke up with the "did i really need to drink that whole bottle of wine" regrets, and then made our lazy way over to the parents with a baguette and some stinky French cheese.  We hung out with my prego sis-in-law (it's gonna happen this week, i know it!) and watched the Olympics.  It's suited us both just fine. What did you do?

Well, now that you know the context, and since you're already used to the method of delivery (see previous post), I shall now list the (less than profound) lessons of this love-infested weekend:


  • i was surprised that i didn't hate Avatar.  entertaining indeed, but not worth all the hype.  honestly, we went after a few drinks at dinner totally prepared to hate on it, which sounded like great fun at the time.  but we both ended up finding merit in it...plus there was NO ONE in the theater, so we had plenty of room for an honest reaction.
  • joel LOVES kenny logins.  he had never seen Footloose (how this is possible, i shall not here conjecture), and thought the soundtrack was pretty great.  oh he's such a sucker for 80's synthesizer.
  • restaurants are really important to us.  like really important.
  • the key to looking good REALLY IS in feeling good.  if i stuff my face with junk, i notice that i feel instantly fat and old...and i think i'm just now noticing that correlation.  if i be sure to get plenty of exercise and prioritize eating well, i notice how much younger and prettier i feel.  
  • marriage is a fascinating and difficult endeavor...to know where you end and they begin and how to vocalize changes in emotional climate, it's so supremely confusing and also quite blissfully calm.  i'm a fan...and joel and i are noticing that our relationship is changing and it's a bit hard to pinpoint where and how, but it's necessary for us both to sit down with honesty and release of the other's reactions to meet somewhere on mutual ground wherein we BOTH feel heard and understood.   The biggest battle in a lifelong relationship CONTINUES to be fighting against our expectation of what we THOUGHT it would look like to be in love after so many years...
  • I still want to grow up to be a figure skater.
  • Commericals WORK.  I hate (like HATE) McDonalds, and all through the Olympics, they were advertising the chicken nuggets, and MAN DID I WANT SOME.  But I resisted...for now.  I'm still thinking about them a day later. Gross.  Why can't I fantasize about SPINACH?
  • Women's bodies are vastly miraculous.
  • It is becoming more and more tempting to use household chores as a fall back for boredom.  I do not want to clean because I don't know what else I want to do with myself and "it needs to be done anyway."  If I clean, I want it to be intentional and soulful...not routine and compulsory.  I didn't do dishes on Saturday when I was in a funk because at that moment it would have talked me out of some soul searching I needed to do.  So I didn't. Bravo me. AND bravo the saint...because he did them later that night while i passed out from red wine consumption.  
Well, here's to Monday and my random thoughts!  Happy President's Day, fellow Americans.  I'll be celebrating by doing laundry and hopefully grabbing lunch with an old friend.  

Thanks for bearing with me through that sickeningly-sweet weekend.  We can now all get back to our regular programing and stop seeing the blog world infested with DIY heart-shaped bedspreads and such.

~crm

You Might Also Like

5 comments:

Leiflet said...

We celebrated with a vegan brunch at one of the few good restaurants in town followed by a traipse through the Natural History Museum. Not something i ever thought i'd enjoy for a Valentine's Day (but then again, i've looked down on this holiday as long as i can remember).

Marriage is so weird- such an unnatural endeavor in a lot of ways. But i appreciate how concrete it needs to be. I don't think i could ever have a casual or tentative marriage. It's been painful to hammer out; but the changes give me hope.

I admire the two of you still changing and clearly enjoying so much of your lives.

jordan said...

my sunday was perfect too (although i celebrated most of it sans husband) - got up late after a long sleep (delicious), then sat in the living room and talked about/finished planning the last details of our trip, saw steve off to work, sat around watching pvr'd shows (what not to wear and other sad addictions) for a couple hours, cleaned the kitchen, took the dogs for a looong walk, packed most of my clothes for the trip (packing for a month is HARD), cleaned a bathroom, made a simple supper and watched the men's moguls (SOOOO EXCITING!!! i screamed at my tv when canada won gold). a great day by all accounts actually!

and i agree about a marriage being work - but i'm ok with that too. i figure if you don't have to work at it you're being lazy and dishonest. the fact that steve and i have been together since childhood (i was 15) makes me think we're pretty good at adapting to each others changing personalities. and isn't it the things that require work that are most satisfying/rewarding in the end anyway?

Emily L. said...

Yes, Valentine's is over....EXCEPT in Maryland where the Governor has extended it a week due to the snow. Can he do that??

I had a delightful non-Valentine's dinner including homemade bread, bison stew, and local Maryland wine and lots of good conversation about local food.

Yours sounds blissful...

Unknown said...

you are the third person i know who wanted chicken nuggets while watching the olympics! so the commercials must be working.

and i agree that it should take work. It was an odd day for me being my first valentines being single again, but i think overall it just filled me with hope for the future and a desire to learn from my past.
Glad yours was so lovely :)

Allisunny S. said...

Ah, ditto on the marriage thing being a tremendous, lovely amazing challenge - but you know?
When you talk something out and you take gentle care with each other and you come out the other side to understanding??
I don't think winning the superbowl could feel that good.
It's feeling your soul growing.
xoxoxo,
A