ON WHAT I LOVE AND OTHER VALENTINE'S DAY RANTS

February 12, 2010 candacemorris 10 Comments

Though you may not be laughing this lame V-day weekend, or though you may not be crying...
either way, the jury is in that the banner to this is RIDICULOUS!
It makes me laugh so much.
It's my V-day edition.

Moving on.


As you may have noticed,
I'm feeling a bit cheeky this V-day.
(though truly there are no plans here at Booklings Manor to celebrate...because we both live our lives in an after school special about love (wait, weren't after school specials about some teenage angst issue? okay, how about a romantic comedy instead) and have V-day every day.  It's gross.)

(but in a really sexy way)

(meaning it's not gross!)


Moving on.

Smooches from my love-filled life to yours.
Because I DO LOVE YOU.
just in case you feel taken for granted that i hadn't quite mentioned it before.

Now that we have cleared that up...

Because it's always hard to compile a list of LIFE loves, I think this list shall  be themed:
"What I love, right here, right now."

Right here, right now happens to be sitting at the saint's desk, drinking a beer from a mason jar (that originally contained homemade caramel corn from umberdovely), listening to Ivy (and halo being played in the background), and peeling off layers of winter clothing because I just got really hot from doing the dishes.  Sexy.  I know.  Therefore, if this list is shockingly weird or insipidly dull, please consider the context.  Oh, and I should mention I have been alone all day. 

Alrighty, let's get down to business.

i love:
these amazing tea cups that arrived in the mail today from my sister!!!! we have a tradition of exchanging sardonic valentine treasures, so they are just wonderful enough to encompass the classic style we both adore and also remind me that color can sometimes be seriously obnoxious.  depending on one's mood, of course.  side note:  my sister is the best gift-giver (to me, for sure) because it turns out when one shares the same soul, it's rather easy to spot things they might like.  but she doesn't have that excuse anymore, because i think my tastes are changing, but she can still knock me over every time i open a package.  (did i show you the birdcage she got me for xmas?!!!)

i love:
high tea, complete with cucumber sandwiches, scones and clotted cream

i love:
sitting down for a proper supper at a table 

i love:
my cutco knives

i love:
the kitty coming into the bedroom in the morning and crawling under the covers.  
she leans on me and purrs us both back to sleep.  euphoric.

i love:
babies.
but not solely because it's just a baby (also, i always feel the need to defend this affinity because i hate being one of those girls who goes annoyingly gaga over babies), but because i find connection in live beings that cannot use words to filter themselves.

i love:
crying
i'm not kidding

i love:
honesty over politeness
(but would prefer them together in an ideal world)

i love:
silent sufferers

i love:
words, etymology, speaking the languages of various souls, and playing scrabble

i love:
housework
i'm not kidding

i love:


this press cozy the saint just gave me for Vday!

i love:
survivors

i love:
books about the books i love 
almost as much as the books i love

i love:
respect
both the giving and receiving

i love:
computers, technology, software, and hardware.  it has given me a creative outlet i otherwise didn't have.

i love:
being good at building a (wood burning stove) fire

i love:


these egg cups I got the saint for vday
they say "mme" and "the saint"
he has been obsessed with making soft boiled eggs

i love:
the smell of the forest when a storm is blowing in

i love:
routine
(curious?  right now it looks something like this: wake up, put on slippers and robe, make a fire, draw back curtains, put on hot water for coffee press, attend to the fire joel has made when he first woke, make a press of coffee, read, check email, get up for a glass of water and bowl of joe's o's, eat said o's, think about getting dressed, think again, read blogs and do computer stuff for a few hours, feed octavia, get dressed, arrange mussed hair, apply a dab of blush and mascara, put on shoes, do the dishes, put away laundry, stare out the window, talk to my plants, vacuum, sweep, make joel and i lunch, let octavia outside, plan dinner, have a mandarin and almonds for a snack, write a postcard or two, leave to tutor, stop by grocery store on the way back, check mailbox, have cocktail hour, make dinner, do the dishes, draw the curtains, stoke the fire, take out the garbage, sit by the fire, talk to joel, look at magazines, dust my books, light candles, put kettle on for tea, slip into slippers, make hot tea, watch a movie, let octavia sit on me during said movie, work on more computer stuff, agree to head to bed, cover the furniture in shower curtain liners so octavia cannot ruin it with her rebellious discretions, turn off the lights, lock the doors, draw the curtains, run hot water for bath, scald my skin in said bath, wash and exfoliate my face, brush and floss my teeth, dab on eye and night cream, crawl into my side of the bed where the saint warms it, launch my scrabble iPhone application, play a few words, listen to the saint snore, roll my eyes, laugh at my own irritation, and then turn of the lights)

i love:
the ease of having a (good) history with an old friend

i love:
the excitement that bubbles in my stomach when i've met someone i admire and know the friendship will be alive inside of us forever

i love:
photoshop tutorials on the web

i love:
making photos look old

i love:
old
love, things, people, animals, trees, relationships, traditions, jewelry
(but definitely NOT cheese)

i love:
letters so so so so much

i love:
shallow depth of field



i love:
self-awareness
 i mean, if you're going to be an ass, at least be aware of it and better yet, know WHY you do it...right?

i love:
my estranged father

i love:
you being in love with YOUR life

i love:
Carl Jung and Thomas Moore

i love:
the sun setting in the west
(it's unnatural any other way, but this may be my hatred for the south speaking up)



i love:
the west

i love:
blogging

i love:
NPR

i love:
driving stick shift

i love:
teaching English

i love:
proofreading 

i love:
doing what i want rather than doing what makes money
(i'd love it even more if i could do both)

i love:
I-90 headed west into Seattle just after you leave Mercer Island

i love:
email and the internet

i love:
confidence and self-acceptance

i love:
speaking in some weird voice when my sister calls. 
 we both do it

i love:
rainbow chip cake and frosting

i love:
short, dark red nails

i love:
pretending that if i lived my life in Europe, it would be better
(including possessing the effortless beauty and couture wardrobe of parisian women)

i love: 
an empty dishwasher

i love:
falling asleep dreaming up outfits

i love:
joel's eyes beaming with pride when other males pick up on me
(i'm pretty sure i would die if i had a jealous husband)

i love:
my feet

i love:
indian food and cheeseburgers

i love:
going to basketball games

i love:
travelling 

i love:
pictures of said trips, almost more than the trips

i love:
making lists of places to travel.  i make one every new year for the following year.

i love:
when spices and liquor go on sale

i love:
that somewhere along the way i fully realized and reveled in the fact there is no person on earth that could make me as happy as i could make myself (though i swear i have the runner up)


i love:
long, thick hair

i love:
paradox 
in clothing, in nature, in psychology, in language, in food, in decor, in relationships

i love:
magazines

i love:
my typewriter

i love:
my portable mouse.


seriously the touch pad on this laptop kills my wrist

i love:
blaming things for the inordinate amount of time i spend at my computer

i love:
netflix
(as pertains to the xbox)

i love:
how Mad Men makes me pour 2 fingers of whiskey and smoke a cigarette
(and get joel's hair to look like don draper's)


holy deliciousness!

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNN

i love:
seeing you both DISCOVER and BE yourself

i do NOT love:
pandora advertisements
(just had to sneak that in)
(nor do i love joel's poncho
but i digress)

i love:
 using the correct verb tenses
(snuck is NOT a word, ppl!)

i love:
knowing what my friend's favorite flower is
(snapdragon, you know who you are)

i love:
investing in jewelry and shoes

i love:
organizing photos



i love:
cities

i love:
the smell of joel's neck

i love:
lighting all the candles in the house, turning off the lights, turning on a shameless tear-jerker flick, and crying big baby tears into my jameson.


I have to stop.
If you've made it this far, well then...I love YOU.
Because you're obviously patient...and that's the kind of people I need in my life right now.

Happy Friggen V-day, yous!


~CRM

You Might Also Like

10 comments:

I've got a darn big crush on this post.
You're magnificent.
Love,
Me.

Unknown said...

I like you Mrs. Morris. Are you free this evening? I simply must see you.

jordan said...

wonderful list. makes me want to make one myself...only i have no blog on which to post SO either it'll have to be in paper form or in in-my-head form. we'll see. either way, this made me smile. all the best on the weekend (however superficial a holiday it is)
xo

Unknown said...

i love this list

Jean said...

I love you, dear daughter of mine!
(Smooches)

Michele said...

I love driving a 5-speed!

I learned how to after watching Cujo. What if I were running from a rabid dog (or a serial killer) and the only car available was a standard transmission AND I COULDN'T DRIVE IT?!!!

Yes. I read a lot, watch a lot of crime shows on TV, and have a vivid imagination. Better safe than sorry!

I love you, my sweet Candiass sister. I love you so much.

Taddyporter said...

You are just filled with all kinds of terrific-ness CRM! I love that you are satisfied and proud of your fire-making skills; I recall a while back(in the early days of country living)it was a bit of a bear getting that stove going so YAY for that. this list is just beautiful.

P.S. and that picture of Candace in the woodshed, WOWZAAA you could be a pin-up girl, Miss Thing.

I don't think I've ever posted on your blog, but I read it frequently. One day awhile back I stumbled upon your blog from the always lovely Ms. Plume's site. :) Anyway, I just wanted to say I loved reading this post. It made me feel inspired!

Devon said...

I love
YOU