Mercredi: Proving to myself that I am not wasting my life

June 10, 2009 candacemorris 9 Comments

INSTRUCTIONS: BEFORE YOU READ THIS POST, SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM AND BEGIN THE SOUNDTRACK.

I have graduated from French I as of last night, and I was even complimented on my accent, merci beaucoup (it's about time, since this is the 3rd French class I have taken). In celebration, I wandered to my favorite house in the country today to learn another endeavor...how to sew.

shears


My multi-talented and resourceful mother-in-law scrounged a pattern for me, originally made my her own mother in the late 50s. We lost grandma jessie last February, so it has been really touching to handle a pattern of a dress she would have handled. This dress already has a lot of meaning for me as 1) it was grandma's pattern 2) it's an excuse to absorb the gracious and nurturing company of my mom and 3) it will be the first piece of clothing I have ever made. I hope to have it finished by my 31rst birthday. Who will take me to tea so I can show it off? It was a wonderful day, complete with mom's yummy lattes, a wander in the garden (hellooo peony!), and a lunch on the deck. Though we only completed the cutting today, we'll soon be sewing!

Wednesdays are also becoming one of my favorite days of the week, as I have met my best boy Benji for happy hour three weeks in a row. We have embarked upon a mission to find Seattle's best German pub, and he's agreed to be my judge, of course. This fits into another project I have been working on as well, a blog of Seattle's eats...soon to come. I do love the easy-going flow of Ben's soul. If you are lucky enough to sit in his presence, I know you know of what I speak.

There are some gracious, still, kind souls around which it is just good for me to be.


Happy Hour

The People's Pub, Ballard, Seattle, Paradise.


And so I bed myself this evening, content from the mint n'chip and transient June breeze, and in the words of Emiliana Torrini, I am " full of wine and steady, nothing brings me down."

candaceruth




You Might Also Like

9 comments:

emilyclare said...

A lovely little tune... there is something really nice about wednesdays for me too.

I take my hat off to you; dress patterns aren't easy (I've made my way through one only just) but I think you're doing as its meant to be; slowly, with grace and sentiment.

And I love those sandals. So much.

jordan said...

yup wednesdays are usually good days for me, too. I'm the only vet in the clinic, things usually go smoothly, and i get to sleep in thursday morning! good combo i say.

i've never heard this emiliana torrini...but i likes!

UmberDove said...

Yesterday sounds like it was mercifully perfect (and I'm flattered that Jean ['s weeds] missed me!) and I can not thing of a better place for you to rest then in that house.


Can I have a rain check?

Wudrokpapur said...

What a delight for me to wander in and see two of the women I love most in the world enjoying each other so much and I got to sample that fabulous tabula! And yes Kelly, I'd love for you to extract vengeance upon the vegetation vermin that are robbing my sweet berries of their nourishment!You may of course sample as you slay.

Cassie said...

Sounds like a fabulous Wednesday. I'd love to see how the sewing project turns out! You'll have to post it.

When will you begin your quilt? I have some sewing to begin also...making a visit to Portland anytime soon? Let me know! :)

Devon said...

Congrats on Graduating your French class! I expect to be instructed on at least one witty comment I can use. Can't wait to see the products of your labor. Cherio!

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for Wednesdays, I'm glad that you spent yours in such a lovely way! Laxing out with friends, doing something sweet and precious with your Grandma's pattern :)

And congratulations on graduating from French! :)

emily- i am doing it WITH the expertise of a master sewer...so i am sure it's easier than attempting it alone. love these sandals too...so frigging comfy. mysaltwatersandals.com or something like that.

jordan- oh her best album is Fisherman's Woman for sure...grab it up! it's the perfect summer evening album.

kells- the weeds will be waiting...as dad said below!

cassie- not sure about the quilt. i admittedly quite intimidated, but my mother in law could show me that too. portland is never too far...will certainly look you up if i head that way soon.

devon - a witty comment? hmmm. how about "did you buy the tickets yet?" is that witty?

elly- thanks for the congrats! i can now communicate with a 5 year old perhaps. :)

Linda Lu said...

I need to learn how to sew.

Congrats on the french bit!