1920s Lawn Party: Attagirl!

July 29, 2009 candacemorris 10 Comments

a lady needs a hat

To ease this thirty-one year old soul into the year,
the saint and I (with so many others' help) hosted a 1920s Lawn Party.

the game yard

boys playing croquet

We set up my grandfather's 50 year old croquet set, a badminton net, metal horseshoes, and boules. We threw linens on outdoor furniture, we set up a strand of lights, we bought the best flowers, we set out our vintage china, we mixed a mean mint julep, we played old records...

a lone player

<span class=

champagne and pearls, one of my favorite girls

We ate the food of the time (monte cristos, pigs in a blanket, pineapple upside-down cake, deviled eggs, champagne grapes, egg salad sandwiches sans crust, homemade gelato, you name it!). We tapped a keg of homemade brew. We donned our best costumes and headed out of the city. My oh my how we laughed and danced and hugged and played quite remarkably hard.

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

summer's kiss

a wee <span class=

It was a perfect night which included a delightful summer sprinkle and wonderful little conversations all over the yard.

I have already heard that it was the party of the summer!

the brothers k

mason jar brew

<span class=

abbey, <span class=

all strands lead to the keg


<span class=





A lot more photographs and the originals can be found here:
20s Lawn Party



another <span class=

I have to give a huge thank you to my favorite Erin Morris (pictured above) for taking me away from the party and getting some shots of me. She is a professional photographer, and I am floored by her work. Thanks, E!



with my birthday chalice

We stepped back into time.
We forgot ourselves.
We lived and we lived loudly.

And zounds, how we slept.

<span class=

Attagirl!
If 31* is anything like this party,
I am in for quite a memorable, magical, indulgent year.
HURRAH.

crm


*For the year of 31-32, I am embarking on a monthly project. Stay tuned...

You Might Also Like

10 comments:

egads! What a glorious soiree! The photos are beautiful too! Perhaps you are a party planner in your next career

jordan said...

OH FREAKING WOW!!!!!!!! what an amazing idea. what incredible pictures! WHAT FANTASTIC COSTUMES!!! i would LOVE to do this. you looked simply beeeeautiful mrs. morris. well done indeed, hope it's a banger year ;)
xoxo
j

she said...

gorgeous GORGEOUS.

Dutch said...

Best party ever.

Cassie said...

The pictures say it all. Looks like it was fabulous. Congrats on another year!

Joyful said...

You shure know how to throw a party! Those costumes are lovely and the photography is outstanding.

emilyclare said...

Absolutely fabulous! I don't know which part of this lawn party I love most, and how I wish I'd been watching from nearby shrubbery... Oh you all look the part so beautifully!!

ShushMary said...

Oh horsefeathers! I'm simultaneously envious and enamored! Now you're on the trolley!

Gorgeous shots of the gorgeous birthday girl!
LOVE YOU.

Great stuff. You all looked wonderful. I went too, and it was awesome. My blog post on it:
http://ifinfinity.blogspot.com/2010/08/flappers-speakeasys-reflecting-on-caper.html