2011 in Books and a Contest!

January 09, 2012 Candace Morris 18 Comments

I like to take a few minutes to look back over the books that ushered me through the year.  In addition, I am curious what books captured your attention and why.  Last year, I put together a list of your recommended reading and shared it here on the blog, and I'd love to do the same this year.  I'll start:

  1. The Marriage Plot by Jeffery Eugendies.  Read December 2010.
  2. To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway.  Read October 2010.
  3. Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson.  Read October 2010.
  4. The Paris Wife by Paula McLain.  Read September 2010.
  5. A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway.  Read September 2010.
  6. Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot.  Read August 2010.
  7. The Wasteland and other Poems by T.S. Eliot.  Began January 2010 - still reading.
  8. The Poetical Works of Matthew Arnold by Matthew Arnold.  Read July 2010.
  9. Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes.  Began January 2010 - still reading.
  10. Villette by Charlotte Bronte.  August 2010.
  11. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.  March 2010.
  12. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.  January 2010.
You can read my reviews and recommendations by clicking on any of the titles.  However, if you are looking for the quick fix of what I would recommend:
  • For a cerebral but satisfying read: The Marriage Plot and The Sun Also Rises 
  • For that easy summer page-turner: The Paris Wife and The Poisonwood Bible (PB is also important literature, so you don't have to hide it behind your beach bag like you would (SHOULD) with The Paris Wife.
  • I've found that those with only small tidbits of time to read can benefit from poetry.  Any of the ones listed above would do the trick!
  •  For the fascinating, beautiful, and off-beat read: Autobiography of Red

Please do leave a comment sharing your reads/recommendations, and I will send one random winner a copy of any book of their choosing under $20.  Contest ends Sunday, January 15 at Midnight.

I will then compose a list of these recommendations and post it on the blog for all to see.


"So many books, so little time"
Frank Zappa


You Might Also Like

18 comments: