preparando

November 05, 2010 Candace Morris 7 Comments

Oh don't you feel it...that fabulously worn out, "I'm so tired I could cry" Friday feeling?  I'm feeling it, kids. But I must rally, for tonight I'm hosting my friends for a house-warming party, for which I'm making stew, fresh bread, an awesome wilted-spinach salad, and cupcakes!

  Right at this very moment, there are two big crock-pots full of Emirl's Beef Stew cooking. I got up at 5:45am to get it all started, but did a majority of the work last night.

prepping emril's essence

I am prepping Emril's Essence* here.  If you don't know, it's just a combination of great spices, but I admit to being a bit disgusted by the name...a person's "essence" sounds like his virility or seed, or at the very least, an ancient Mayan translation of someone's aura.  I don't know, I think it's a lame name.  It's also known as Bayou Blast, but dear god...don't even get me started on that name.

sous

I find something very comforting about Sous-Chef work.  All the chopping and slicing and juliening makes for a nice brain nap towards the end of the day.  I also usually require strong drink whilst cooking, but the night before I had a hot toddy and two 3oz pours of Bourbon...usually, my old man constitution would be able to handle this, but with only a cheese platter under my belt, I was pretty friggen sauced.  Since then, the idea of booze has made my stomach turn.

Sidenote: How many of you cook with your computer right there in the kitchen?  I think there's a total niche market for this, a specific computer, mounted, protected, etc.

Yes, that's really all I have for you at the moment.
Are you doing something big and social for the weekend or do you plan to pamper yourself with solitude and nesting?  Readers, I plan to do both.

That's just the kind of weekender I am.

Sincerely the weekend slut,


*Just FYI:

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup


You Might Also Like

7 comments: