preparando

November 05, 2010 candacemorris 7 Comments

Oh don't you feel it...that fabulously worn out, "I'm so tired I could cry" Friday feeling?  I'm feeling it, kids. But I must rally, for tonight I'm hosting my friends for a house-warming party, for which I'm making stew, fresh bread, an awesome wilted-spinach salad, and cupcakes!

  Right at this very moment, there are two big crock-pots full of Emirl's Beef Stew cooking. I got up at 5:45am to get it all started, but did a majority of the work last night.

prepping emril's essence

I am prepping Emril's Essence* here.  If you don't know, it's just a combination of great spices, but I admit to being a bit disgusted by the name...a person's "essence" sounds like his virility or seed, or at the very least, an ancient Mayan translation of someone's aura.  I don't know, I think it's a lame name.  It's also known as Bayou Blast, but dear god...don't even get me started on that name.

sous

I find something very comforting about Sous-Chef work.  All the chopping and slicing and juliening makes for a nice brain nap towards the end of the day.  I also usually require strong drink whilst cooking, but the night before I had a hot toddy and two 3oz pours of Bourbon...usually, my old man constitution would be able to handle this, but with only a cheese platter under my belt, I was pretty friggen sauced.  Since then, the idea of booze has made my stomach turn.

Sidenote: How many of you cook with your computer right there in the kitchen?  I think there's a total niche market for this, a specific computer, mounted, protected, etc.

Yes, that's really all I have for you at the moment.
Are you doing something big and social for the weekend or do you plan to pamper yourself with solitude and nesting?  Readers, I plan to do both.

That's just the kind of weekender I am.

Sincerely the weekend slut,


*Just FYI:

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup


You Might Also Like

7 comments:

Snailentina said...

Agreed on the computer thing, I do this all the time!

Right before you said it (or I read it) I was going to say...wow, she is brave to leave her laptop right on the counter...my cooking attempts are too messy for that...really messy, so hurray to you! Also applauses for being such an incredible hostess to wake up so early to prepare for the evening....you really have earned your halloween costume. I am exhausted, I have late meeting tonight...demain is a different story...hoping for Farmer's market...off to Santa Monica to visit my east coast cousin...the who knows....and more work on Sunday...aye ya ya...feeling tired...must find a cave to run to! Still, it is weekend...Have a lovely one! PS- I too don't approve of the names Emril's Essence. I suggest you write to them with some recommendations. Do it! xo

have a fabulous weekend friend :)

And if you can find one of those protective computer kitchen things, sign me up!

Emily L. said...

#1 - I definitely cook with the computer on the counter, or at least nearby on the table. Time has taught me to keep a towel handy to wipe my hands before I try to use it.

#2 - I get really excited any time I see Heinz products anywhere in the world, because they come from my hometown! (Truly, there are pictures of me from all over Europe holding ketchup bottles...)

#3 - The weekend involves working tomorrow and then some serious self-caring. It has been MONTHS since I did more for myself than ignore dishes to watch Grey's Anatomy. Pedicure, bath, yoga, candles and girlie movie are all in the works! Maybe (definitely) some farmer's market and bread-making as well.

Have a fabulous and restful weekend!

Huff'nPuff said...

Here you go.....http://www.noahbalmer.com/kitchensync.php

jordan said...

yeah, someone def needs to invent a kitchen-proof computer. mine's all splattered and abused from the very same kind of use. but i love interwebular recipes, so i won't stop!!

UmberDove said...

Essence?


filth.

Reminds me of Skeksis and Gelflings, and that little furry mutt with all the teeth.





Will you make me soup?