Friends with Art: Good Medicine

March 16, 2013 candacemorris 2 Comments

I consider myself something of the unofficial photographer for UmberDove's art shows. "Good Medicine" opened on Thursday night at The Ghost Gallery here in the Capitol Hill district of Seattle, and runs all month if you are in the neighborhood.  Afterward, we do what we always do: drink.








I've been thinking a bit about personal deadlines and when to allow yourself rest and when to allow yourself work and when to allow the work to be enough and when to allow it to be deficient.  It's an inspiring life being surrounded by others who think on the same things.  Kelly works hard, terribly hard. There is no wishy-washy "Maybe I'll try my hand at art for a while to see if maybe I'm good enough."  She is head's down, buried in foliage and silver and paint most days.  I must say, I got to see her more when she wasn't so successful, so it doesn't really benefit my social life - but it is certainly motivating for me in my own craft.

Which brings me to my good medicine.  Today I began a writer's workshop with the subject of writing on Inner Change/Personal Transformation.  I sit around the table with eight other (rather magnificent!) ladies who are grappling with being a writer and being a human, and it has put a serious bee in my bonnet.  

So let it begin, I say...the flurry of an writing so much that I feel beautiful exhausted from the work of my soul. Just like she does.



You Might Also Like

2 comments:

When Kelly posted about her show on FB earlier last week, I took a hard look at the calender to see if there was any way I could work it into my schedule to drive across the border and down to Seattle to see her art in person. Alas, with somewhere to be that night, and then the next morning, it just wasn't meant to be. maybe next time a little road trip will be in order. It would be really lovely to meet both you lovely talented ladies!
-Jaime

emilyclare said...

Oh! That Umber is beautiful as ever. I so wish we could make her show! Alas... these photos are good medicine for the sadness is being so far away from Seattle.

And I love the sound of that writing course, absolutely.