Books for Bowie

September 10, 2012 candacemorris 2 Comments

Joel's mom threw Bowie a baby shower to welcome her into this world.  Instead of typical presents (which everyone sent me when she was born - SO SPOILED), she asked each guest to bring a book of their choosing.  It was a lovely day to see family I too rarely see.  Now Baby Star has a rather enviable library.



























That evening, while I cuddled Bowie after her feeding, I smelled the intoxicating mixture of several woman's scents combined on her.  It reminded me of the realization that women need other women, and that Bowie needs them all.  I fancy myself apart from this cliche, but no female is impervious.  We need to remember we aren't the first, and we aren't the last.  

Bowie also received her father's baby blanket and sweater/hat set that Gma Jean had saved for his offspring.  It was a touching moment.  Also touching was meeting my cousin Amy's new daughter, Kenya.  She is a miracle in so many senses.  I feel moved to the core when I consider the journey Amy has embarked upon to find her daughter.  

Toward the end of the baby shower, Jessica and Becca received the news that their father had passed away.  It was one of the most profoundly sacred and deeply sad moments I've ever witnessed, the inner circle of unabashed, unfiltered mourning as the initial blow is delivered.  I struggle to make meaning of it, but I am left with something about the cycle of life and death.  Here was a room of women celebrating life and the enjoyment thereof through family and literature, while simultaneously choking on the profoundly real knowledge of human mortality. 

My days, they are never short of meaning.



(thank you, Aunt Umber, for taking pictures).

You Might Also Like

2 comments:

emilyclare said...

Oooo ahhh, what a beautiful way to shower Bowie with love and words! I also found myself asking people to send gifts in the way of books to Reu because all my picture books and the like where trapped in boxes in Australia. I still have a book my mum gave me when I was growing in her womb and I treasure it...

I especially love the book-plate station, and well, just all the photos of you looking so well... I see you have not received a copy of our book yet :) Mais oui!

What? said...

What fabulous photos. I was just commenting to Becca tonight when we got to my house of the very same thing and how it happened to me before when Ian died and Ella was born on the same day. Thank you for sharing and I so enjoyed seeing you again.