mary-lou retton may not be proud of this

February 23, 2011 candacemorris 8 Comments

This morning's breakfast.  I chuckled to myself and thought perhaps you might also either be entirely grossed out or also chuckle to yourself.  
the breakfast of champions

I grew up eating Wheaties.  
On the box were athletes of all sorts, but my very favorite was the 1984 feature of Mary Lou Retton, the gold metal gymnast.  She probably did not eat Wheaties for breakfast, even though it was lauded as "The Breakfast of Champions!"  

I can also pretty much guarantee that she didn't eat huge maple bars paired with hard-boiled eggs for breakfast.  I can also guarantee that I will be feeling pretty gross in a few hours.


To be fair
(and not that I need an excuse to eat a donut - but I do confess that they are my gateway food.  You know, the foods that open the door to all other sorts of horrific items the human body was never intended to ingest)

1.  I watched another episode of "Twin Peaks" last night. If you've seen it, you'll know that David Lynch has some sort of love affair with donuts - they are almost a character.  Consequently, I want one every.single.time I watch it.
Well, donuts, and cherry pie, that is.

2. I deserve to eat what I love (with occasion and restraint).



Do you think the protein will help keep the inevitable sugar crash at bay?

You Might Also Like

8 comments:

Em in SF said...

If it makes you feel any better, on Monday I went to a super-hippy grocer and didn't hesitate for ONE MILLISECOND to plow down TWO vegan donuts... just because they are a rare and wonderful thing.

Once that gateway was open I ate a whole bag of vegan marshmallows, again, because they are rare and wonderful things!

This is funny, yesterday I had the opportunity to have the most delicious, plump looking Old Fashioned Glaze. Man oh man I wanted that thing BAD - but I restrained! ( um, maybe first time ever!?) I didn't have it because of the very reason you mention! Its a gateway for me - one donut equals saying its ok to have another.
I am obviously not ready to allow temptations into my diet yet, without feeling confident they wont become my diet LOL

UmberDove said...

Do you remember that day, right after I moved to North Bend, that we went to Tweeties and ate cherry pie, french fries and gross black coffee while Red ate their chili? Just to try the whole "Twin Peaks" experience?

That was some nasty pie.


Nasty pie sounds like a term Joel would snicker over.
I miss all your donut, hot dog, mac and cheese ways.

BC said...

I approve. Run with it.

I think Mary Lou Retton would be puzzled as to why you had to throw a hard boiled egg in and spoil the fun! I would never try to eat like Mary Lou Retton, I prefer to eat like Mark Spitz! I hope you are still feeling well. Incidentally I have donuts several times a week and my morale is high. Keep it up. : )

Leiflet said...

I don't like donuts anymore. I used to, but now i am apparently a wet blanket.

I still like Twin Peaks, though. Until season 2 happens.

I miss doughnuts.

I miss you too.