The Baby Star has Landed: "A hazy cosmic jive"

July 05, 2012 candacemorris 13 Comments

Here I am, last Friday afternoon, 35 weeks and 1 day pregnant.  My midwife and I joked that I might have this kid this weekend.
Hilarious, I say.
Don't I look amused?
After 24 hours of labor, the last four trying to push out an "unfavorably positioned" baby (I love how they say that, as if it was just a minor inconvenience and not DAMN NIGH IMPOSSIBLE (occiput posterior position with the addition of her leaning her head way back so the forehead presented first.  The forehead does not mold or shape like the rest of the head, so you can imagine my dilemma)), the little star found her way to us.




Since she was "late pre-term" (born between 35-37 weeks), we had to stay at the hospital for 48 hours for observation. She was a total champ, and one nurse called her a "lusty rockstar." Fitting, if you ask me, since we decided to name her after David Bowie.  Which is to say it's not so much after him as much as an homage to my sister, who introduced me to him and loves him so.  I love its bad-ass sounding cuteness and the message it sends the world, "I am probably just a bit too much for your taste, but if you get me, you effing get me!"  That, or the message will have something to do with the wearing of spandex and a remarkably ambidextrous visage.  At the very least, it will say, "I am not ordinary."  It also means "victory."  Her middle name was chosen after her father's long-term love affair with the night sky.  Andromeda is the neighboring galaxy threatening to collide with ours, and also means "courageous thinker."



Bowie Andromeda Morris
6.6lbs, 17.75"

We are home, we are doing well. 

Our words are giants when they do us injury,
and dwarfs when they do us service.
-Wilkie Collins The Woman in White

And so, I will let the grandiose changes stay large rather than trap them with a word.


You Might Also Like

13 comments:

Oh Candace, she is so beautiful - this perfect little being you brought into the world!
I *love* her name, it will make a great story.
So happy to hear baby is a champ, and it sounds like you were too, congrats lady.
Jaime

Whit said...

"the prettiest star"
Welcome baby star stuff, some day I will paint that non-malleable forehead with a bolt!

Joyful said...

What a precious, pretty little rock star. She's gorgeous and you mama look so good after having gone through such hard labour. Kudos to you both and congrat to you and your hubby.

BC said...

Pshhh, Bowie - what happened to Starla????

Congrats you two. I can't wait to spoiler her rotten.

emilyclare said...

Ohh Candace... ohhh Joel... she is just beautiful. A hearty congratulations from us three here with all our love and blessings and thoughts. Love the name too xx

she said...

so much love.

Huge congratulations to your family...what a delightful little girl! Wishing you the stars....

LOVE her.
And I already told you so, but I'll be repeating myself for months -- I'm so proud of you.

dragon said...

Congratulations. The two of you made such a beautiful baby.

Krystal said...

Congratulations Candace! What an amazing gift. I am so in awe of the miracle of birth. My Amelia was born at 36 1/2 weeks and was tiny too, I love the little baby girls!

Congrats....she is beautiful!

Jessie said...

What a beauty! Congrats!

SugarMama said...

BAM! Love it.. Congratulations and may your heart be ever lighter for the complexities she brings.