i wandered lonely...

March 24, 2009 candacemorris 5 Comments

i have just returned from a most glorious morning walk. my cheeks are rouged, my eyes wide, my spirit awakened. i must tell someone! it's brimming up inside of me! it is a GORGEOUS day here in seattle and not necessarily because it's traditionally perfect weather, but because it's a day that has been noticed and loved. though cold, there is a dreamy breeze that kicks up the tails of my coat and brings to life the forsythia, daffodils, and green things that i know not by name.


what do you hear when you take a walk in solitude? i hear the wind and the beat of my blood. to this beat, my mind recites old poetry i didn't know i remembered. today, because of the presence of so many daffodils on bellevue avenue, i recalled "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud," by Wordsworth. i was required to memorize this in grade nine, but alas, i could only remember the first four lines on my walk. i admire what is birthed from meandering, pointless solitude.


i came home to a small, simple bowl of mini-wheats and orange juice, and dug out my high school text book. i looked up the poem and read it as i ate. it has been an ideal morning...the kind i dreamed of having back when i was stuck at work. then i thought of many of you who cannot enjoy a leisurely mid-week morning walk, and i thanked god for this time. i did. it's true.



for breath, for rest, for unknowns, for you.
i thank god.
~candace ruth


You Might Also Like

5 comments:

YOUR CHERRY BLOSSOMS......gah........gorgeous.
Thanks for reminding me to head out and notice the day. I'm of to do so now.
Smooch.

jordan said...

i echo plumey here - my what lovely blossoms you have! cherry blossoms make me want to visit the westcoast every spring...SO beautiful. i went to japan in grade 12 in April and the blossoms were blossoming in all their glory - UNREAL i tells you. i'll have to scan some of those pictures to share some time. it was a lovely lovely trip. here's hoping we get a dose of spring sometime soon in chilly toon town!
jordan

Sara said...

I can't wait till the weekend so I would go for a walk. Alone, listening to my heartbeats :)

~A. said...

i miss seattle. :(

emilyclare said...

Blossoms. Free Boxes. Damn it girl you got it all!