quiet - trees at work.

July 08, 2008 candacemorris 7 Comments

i have posted a new bookling's blog, and you really ought to read it.

i have been reminded lately of some thoughts on writing - thanks plume! she reminded me of a fun fact about Sylvia Plath and her daily writing goals (oh this sends me on a rabbit trail of thoughts - just wondering what it must have been like to live in a house with another writer who is my spouse/mentor/teacher and be constantly pressured and inundated with your craft - this seems like it would not foster an atmosphere of artistic creativity) were to hand write, front to back 4 pages a day.

i do write daily, but certainly not that much - and i have lately been frustrated with HAND writing anything. i think in keyboard now...and on saturday with joel napping along side me, i sat in my bed and wrote in my journal for the first time since January (oh poor journal, i have been so painfully remiss in my devotion to you). the entries have been 6-8 months apart, whereas just 4 years ago, i journaled at least three times a week.

but i digress.

i sat on my bed journaling - and i just really struggled to find my normal voice. i am now unfairly comparing it to blogging, and perhaps this should not be. i think the compulsion to blog is enhanced by the "publish" button and an audience. but this seems odd to me because i often write in my journals with that same voice and same sense of audience.

but you know what it is, really? i think i am just terribly, horribly , tragically

out

OF

practice.




this laziness will be quite stripped of me due to the woods being an ill place for a computer. i am therefore reduced (though not so!) to actual pen to paper....because, after all - this will be my inspiration:

above photo totally pilfered from the dearest of old dear friends - Karen & Steve's website...pictures of their Maui trips.



i know you are rapt with curiosity
HOWEVER,
i can never tell you the secret words of my journal pages
- they are so naughty and cross you will be shocked
and never believe it to be from such a sweet
dame
such
as
myself.
1 more sleep until i camp with 12 other crazies...ahem, friends.
toodles.
~crm

You Might Also Like

7 comments:

What you said about journaling vs. blogging really resonates with me. It seems strange coming from you b/c your blog posts always seem so transparent. That sort of transparency is why I don't/didn't feel like I could blog...like I would be too self conscious. BUT, if I am writing on purpose for an audience (you at this point!), it's not the same as journaling anyway. Huh, where did I get the idea that my blog SHOULD be my journal? Strange. They can be different. Duh. But even so, I only want to say certain things to certain people. It still feels weird somehow, so for now it's still like me emailing you privately:)

jmc~
which i love indeed.

BC said...

Hmmm, the motivation of an audience can be a strong pull. When you know that people are pining for your every word, I can understand the necessity to blog away. But yet, you can only tell those people so much.

Perhaps this is what your soul has been missing. You pour so much of yourself into your (plethora) of blogs, but yet, the bit of soul that begs to be vocalized is left waiting in the backdrops. I can't imagine writing even more than you already do, but maybe the camping trip will allow that bit of inner Mme Booklings to come out. (While you break from the multitude of pages on her, Ink, and Booklings)

This camping trip will be semi-inner reflective for me, care to join in the fun?

UmberDove said...

Here Here for inner-reflective-camping! Hooray!

I think this will be a great week for you and your writing, a reintroduction of sorts, and a great kindling of your childlike wonder.

Journaling vs. blogging is interesting. I can only relate it to painting (and so forgive me if I relate poorly) but understand it in this sense: When I paint, I paint for me, what I know, what I seek to understand, what I feel, where I am struggling. In that there is SUCH a vulnerability that it occasionally paralyzes me because the ultimate end is, I hope, an audience viewing my work. I absolutely have not figured this one out, because the painting for my soul and the painting for the view must be the same thing.

kc~i think that is an apt correlation - but in one area different. you paint very abstractly- anyone can interpret it as they wish but you never have to explain what YOU meant by it all...unless you want to. i don't write creatively or abstractly because my speciality is the journalistic writing...so it's hard, yet again, to find the filter by which i am honoring my soul's journey and yet still take my audience into account! i am sure this is the part to which you can relate.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

what a winner.