Ten Year Celebration of Marriage

November 26, 2012 candacemorris 3 Comments















































We returned yesterday afternoon from a lovely anniversary trip to Whidbey Island.  The culinary treats we enjoyed were spectacular and the resting was restorative.  It was not as paralyzing to be apart from Bowie as I imagined it would be, though we both shared heart-pains when we spoke or thought of her. She had a wonderful time with Grandma and it looks like the feeling was mutual, as she explained how much she enjoyed Bowie while tearing up.  As always, it's lovely to be back to one's own bed, but we both agreed that this was the best anniversary trip yet.  

Tenth Anniversary of Marriage - Whidbey Island

To see more photos, explanation of our doings, and details of the entire six-course meal by Matt Costello at the Inn at Langley, click on album above.

The first morning, the ubiquitous fog of the Puget Sound lifted to reveal an unreal view of the neighboring islands and calm waters.  I rose before Joel, in rare fashion, and without disturbing his slumber, wrapped myself in a blanket and walked out onto our private porch.  It was terribly cold, but I felt  mystified by what I saw that I didn't care.  I leaned over the railing and stared long and hard into the deep waters, and for the first time in many years, a very heavy serenity pervaded my being.  It was as if all the shallow breathing my constant anxiety produces was replaced by a lung so vast that I almost never knew otherwise.  I began to hear Joel stir, and while I anticipated the breakfast and hot shower to come,  I desperately wanted to bottle this feeling to take with me through the next stage of our marriage.  However, if there is one thing I have learned, it's that you cannot rely on the bliss of the past to carry you into future happiness.  You must make new joy with each new moment.

Let it be known the world over that I am one happily married woman; that it is possible to be happy with one person, provided you both commit to growing personally as well as being honest with all the corners of your soul, dark and light alike.  Either that, or we've been very lucky and there is no rhyme or reason to it.  That, or God ordained it so.  Whatever you've been given the faith to believe, may it rest well upon you.

mrs. morris

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

Joyful said...

It looks like a beautiful anniversary weekend. Happy 10th Anniversary to you both!

emilyclare said...

Ohhhh. you two are of the finest looking humans I know, and I'm so glad you were able to have a luxurious and misty romance of a weekend to mark what really is an extraordinary feat - not just in staying married for ten years; but it growing more fully into who are and how you love best xx love always your australian friend

Hanny said...

I love Whidbey and Langley in particular (great guitar shop there). I keep fantasizing about retiring there someday. I'm glad the two of you will have fond memories of a place I hold dear. You should head back for Djangofest Northwest if you like gypsy jazz.