the silence

November 26, 2011 candacemorris 5 Comments

No, I am not speaking of the ominous villain in Doctor Who (I love you if you get that reference), but I am speaking of the strange periods of silence I've recently endured.  Times in life where one desires no company other than a spouse, no conversation other than with beautiful films, and more sleep than most people dream of.

Monk's Prayer


Perhaps this silence is due to my being sick for almost 9 days now.  I've left the house only 3 times in that stint, and just when I thought I was getting better, I woke up this morning with what I can only guess is a different cold.  How festive.

Despite feeling strange, solitary, and rather disabled, I've been enjoying the energy, the Feng Shui, of being in a house that has been lived in so well.  I've cooked several amazing meals, had countless cups of tea, snuggled with Joel any old time I wanted, stewed cider, and baked an apple pie.  I suppose I am saying that I am thankful for being ill in that it has demanded sleep and nourishing food and soul-giving solitude.  I am thankful for a body.

Let me explain.

The Universe and I have been at odds lately.  We've been in discussion about endings.  I am fighting this impossible battle between the biological need to survive and the inevitable truth that we all die, and must.   The human race will most likely be entirely wiped out in the next million years, with nothing to offer the cosmos or other lifeforms elsewhere (except The Voyager, Joel comforts me).   Moreover, I suppose the real struggle is that I cannot control either. I wish I could be obsessed with beginnings, but instead I've been struggling so much with the fact that life ends.  Just when bliss introduces herself to me with a jarring handshake, she slips through my fingers because I think of when it will end. I am trying to accept that this issue has been brought to me to examine and chew on, trying to see its essence instead of its shadow, but I have a distrust of the temporary.

Simply stated, I am trying to reconcile death with life, and it seems everyone has some sort of lovely answer for how they have arrived at their own particular version of peace. I suspect that most deal with it by ignoring it, or praying a lot, or distracting themselves with the busyness of life.  I bring up this comparison to others because I believe our notions of personal happiness are based largely on how we see others living and what they chose to pour their precious lives into.  I am clinically depressed, so it makes sense to me that I would wonder why everyone is so darn happy all the time, expressing how they find certain weather patterns, particular bowls of fruit, or long vacations nothing but entirely rewarding, afraid to express anything negative because of what that might mean, or what others might think.  In the end, when we do not take the time to express all parts of life - the good and the bad, and express both with tact and love - I feel we are performing a great disservice to those in our care, who listen to us and glean inspiration from us.  If we are only expressing good, those who feel badly about life will feel ashamed that they can't just feel good like so and so does all the time.  This is a complete rabbit-trail, I might add.  All of this to say that it often feels as though I am the only one thinking about the inevitable end of the Universe, and balancing the desperate desire to stay alive with the intellectual acceptance of death.  Of course I'm not.

Back to feeling thankful for the human body I have.

Therefore, in the midst of this very confusing mental dialogue, I find it especially rewarding when I am made newly aware of the awe of the human body, decaying and fleeting though it be.

It costs me much, and I have more caveats than acceptance of the notion, but I again say to the cosmos and to you, I am thankful for this body.

Hope your Thanksgiving was meaningful, at the very least.

You Might Also Like

5 comments:

dragon said...

Ah the chemistry of the brain. If you haven't trudged those dreary roads of depression there is no way to understand what it is like. Thank you for being brave enough to share the shadow as well as the sunshine:)

I love Dr. Who. . .

Melissa said...

Anyone who says they have found "peace" is probably in denial. Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't think it can be done... at least not in a permanent way. Everything about us is changing all the time so peace 5 years ago wouldn't work for me today.

As for the inevitability of death, I have my moments. Death doesn't scare me so much as it used to but I do struggle with the why of everything.

So, I live for the little moments. Those moments are what I hold onto when everything else seems futile. It's nothing grand, no epiphanies. It's just life.

I am mired in silence as well, perhaps not savoring it as you are.

UmberDove said...

I just want you to know that this is the second time I've been here, the second time I've ingested these words, and the second time I've felt too raw to spill them publicly.

Thank the gods for you.

Julie said...

been thinking about death a lot too actually. Decided to write a paper on physician-assisted suicide and much research and thinking has ensued about our ends and how we meet them. There is quite a paradox here I think. Life, living, death, dying.