Editing the work

October 07, 2011 candacemorris 1 Comments


Octavia has missed me writing


It's true, I've found it hard to put pen to paper lately. Upon the opening of my journal today, Octavia immediately decided to welcome it back by gracing my lap with her presence.  She's missed me writing, too.  I am not sure what it is...something about that stark black line permanently defining that minute, solidifying feelings and people.  I hadn't put two and two together, my recent lack of writing and my recently undefined sense of self, but as is the result of my time with Jess, sipping wine in front of a fire at a historic hotel, I realized their correlation.

That and I'm chicken shit.

Journal Entry, 7 October 2011

For those of you who cannot read my scribble, "Once the moment is gone, the inspiration fleeting, I find it hard to go back and edit my poems.  They are so momentary in nature, meant to store the tone of one particular feeling.  It's as if the muse blindfolds me, then uses my hands.  Later, when I'm more objective and the tone of the moment is no longer, I see that the writing simply isn't as good.  So now, I'm defining a process for myself.  It's time to do the work, remove the blindfold, and see what I'm actually made of."
Currently:
Fear = 72%
Bravado = 23%
Good Poetry =  5%

Goal:
Fear = 20%
Bravado = 20%
(damn) Good Poetry = 60%"

Here's to taking the next step with only the courage of NOW in my pocket, 


You Might Also Like

1 comments:

Sean said...

Thought of you: "Writers aren't exactly people.... they're a whole bunch of people trying to be one person."

F. Scott Fitzgerald