photojournalism

March 10, 2011 candacemorris 3 Comments




This last weekend, I was able to get away for a few days and take in the much-needed company of my college best friend and her wee babes.  Joel and I are nursing an empty nest as my sister has moved out, and we are both really missing she and Clara.  There is an overwhelming amount of processing and release that has been left in the wake of this very quiet house, and we are honoring it with all its pain and pleasure.  However, travel is a wonderful distraction and mind-clearer.  It is these things I was pursuing....and while rest and relationship were nurtured, Emerson's thoughts on travel still ring true:

"At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness.  I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples,a nd there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from...My giant goes with me wherever I go."

In the end, the trip was wonderful, but to the hope of losing oneself , I doubt I shall ever aspire.


Now if we're talking about sun - oh yes.  My feet basked in warm cement and spring-like breezes.


And if we are talking about beautiful children and trips to In-N-Out, then YES!


And if we are talking about a lot of play, laughter, and fun -
YEPS.




And we are definitely mentioning the good drinks and food.
Fuel for the body and soul.

Or if we are talking about sibling love, plenty of that.

To the beauty of true friends
(and their inspiring offspring),
I say 
AMEN.

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

Unknown said...

looks like a lovely and much needed weekend.

Huff'nPuff said...

I love the whole concept...I love that Jackie lets them get dirty! What a delight!

Huff'nPuff said...

Do you remember the first time you heard her voice on the phone welcoming you into her world of college and that she would be your roommate? I still do! Who'd a thunk!