turkey days

December 07, 2010 candacemorris 9 Comments

Just as I suspected, December has started in 5th gear and maintained this steady, exciting, and dangerous speed.  Unfortunately, when things get fast, this musing lady simplifies her usually copious and rich thought-life.  Instead of staying awake nights pondering my way through life, I am envisioning spreadsheet after spreadsheet of christmas gift ideas, christmas craft ideas, birthday gift ideas (mr. saint turns this month - as well as many others),  menus, meal plans, family get-togethers, outfits for art-show openings...all of this on top of maintaining my regularly active social life AND my recently busy full-time job.

But there are many moments where my brain seeps through these cracks (gross), and I hear a wee voice ask me when I am going to get back to writing...to reading...to taking photographs...to blogging...to eye brow waxing.  All of these things contribute greatly to the luxury of my soul, and I wonder how long I can possibly exist in such a neglectful state.

My heart begins to thrash around in my chest like a caged bird, my breathing stops remembering that it is an autonomic response.  I suddenly cannot think of an outfit or manage to put together the simpliest of weekly menus.  It is in this pre-nervous breakdown state that I speak from the mountain tops to myself:

"DO NOT PANIC."

And then I feel better.
Because there is THE ISSUE.
and then there's the PANIC (feeling/judgment) about THE ISSUE.

The later is ALWAYS, always worse.


I will write and read and get rid of wanton hairs again soon...and besides, I am very confident that it will take a hell of a lot more than one busy month to undo the tightly-knotted bow of self-care that I cinch around my waist.  A hell of a lot more.

So we run around with our heads cut off like a dumb turkey.  Kind of like the one I cooked this weekend...only it was much more dead than I am.  We decided to make our own little Thanksgiving, so I cooked my first full meal.  (DUDE, Mom...that is a lot of work).  You can see how proud I am of myself here...getting that bird all hot and bothered up to 180degrees F.

 
Joel had to check my work.  He approved.


(But he always does ;) )

Keep Calm, my souls.
What can get done, will get done.
What can't, wasn't supposed to.

You Might Also Like

9 comments:

Ain't THAT the truth???!!!
xx

180?!? You can call a turkey done at 165. Me and numerous members of my family and friends (yes you must be a member to be my friend, it's okay, I already waved your fee) have been using this (http://mightyvaldenkor.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/late-thanksgiving-revelations/) recipe to great success if you happen to find yourself cooking another turkey in the near future.

I like that advice even though I don't follow it as I should... still learning! : )
It's great to have someone check one's turkey...

My December has been crazy too! Btw, I wish I could pull off your haircut. So cute :)

Leiflet said...

Don't worry kiddo. A lot of us are juggling a lot of roles, wearing a lot of hats, and still can figure out a way to care for those around us. It's not perfect, but nothing in life is. I have been really attracted to the concept of grace lately-- where you have every right to judge, retaliate, refuse, and refute-- but you don't because you choose grace.

I forget about your guy's December birthday. Crap. I have had this idea for a birthday project for a long time, but it's never happened. Maybe next year... he says feebly...

Cassie said...

This makes me feel good. I shall not panic!! Right there with you sister...lots to do, but what's to get done (hopefully the top of priorities) WILL get done.

BTW, awesome job on the turkey. We did our first turkey the day after Thanksgiving because we wanted some turkey for our many, many rolls--but it was alright. I definitely haven't learned the trick of the trade.

xo

UmberDove said...

Hey Dummy.

It's true, you're true. And that voice is only wee because it's giving you some time with Mr. Excel.

When you wax that brow, pull one out for me, ok?

she said...

um, you are cute.

Julie said...

Fun! And I empathize with you about the craziness of December. Mine has been up and down forward backward left right and I am already exhausted and simultaneously shivering with unashamed excitement!!

And!!!

I have a secret to tell you! Shhhh....


.... come closer....


Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat!
But Candace cooked it and we're proud of that!