Upon me becoming an official woman and other adventures in the kitchen

September 07, 2009 candacemorris 8 Comments

From On becoming a real woman


I finally did it! I made a Lemon Meringue pie yesterday WITH kids underfoot. I don't really know why I have decided to place the crux of womanhood upon the making of a pie (a pie I don't actually care too much for nonetheless) and not upon the ripening of my reproductive organs (EWW) or on, I don't know, paying a credit card off or getting married or something like that. Nope, it's all dependent on my ability to whip egg whites into stiff peaks.

EWWW.

Anyway.

So, I am glad to announce that I am an official female, just in case there were any doubts out there.

From On becoming a real woman
Here's the lemon and (premade*) crust

From On becoming a real woman
This particular recipe called for zest in the filling...a perfect addition

From On becoming a real woman

The premeasured ingredients;
I love doing this and highly recommend it when trying a new recipe

From On becoming a real woman
Whisking up the filling...

From On becoming a real woman
Pouring the filling into the crust

From On becoming a real woman
Whipping up the egg whites to make meraninge. It was an awesome experience, but I have decided that it's way too much work for something I don't enjoy eating that much. I refused to use the mixer to do this...does this earn me extra points or just make me insane?

From On becoming a real woman
The pre-browned merangie

From On becoming a real woman

Isn't it gorgeous?

So, how do I look? Totally like a grown up?
Yeah, I thought so.

crm

*Some might postulate that real womanhood does not begin until one can make their own pie crust. I've tried it and have decided that it's DUMB.


You Might Also Like

8 comments:

...I hate making pie crust. I make RW do it. AND there was never any question regarding your womanhood. I've been nurtured up close and from afar and there's NO question as to what the heck you are.

she said...

i know this is going to sound so unintelligent...but you = the bomb.

(i just spelled "unintelligent" like this: unintelliNgent. isn't that great / pathetic?)

i heart you and your lemon zest too.

UmberDove said...

WHEW! Girl, you are ripe!

(uh, in that womanly organs way. no. uh... right)

For the record, I don't think it counts because you made the pie out of reach of my fork, and therefore I cannot attest to its righteousness and I LOVE me some lemon meringue.

For the other record, crust making is only for masochists, and I counted you among woman-folk long, long ago.

Whit said...

Ah, some insight I can provide here on this your proof on womanhood.
I asked for a Lemon Meringue pie every year for my birthday. Every year I received an angel food cake instead, with this quip, "It's too hard to make the meringue, and I know you like Angel food just as well." So you done beat Mom, now yous is a woman.

Well, ladies mine, thanks for the votes in favor of my femininity.

Hey T,
I'll make you one for your birthday THIS year!!!

emilyclare said...

I looks mighty fine to me!

And I have to agree on making crusts... or not making them rather :p - except on very special occaisions when wholemeal crusts are required; but they're the bane of cooking seriously, along with chopping onions...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'll have you know that my mother is famous for her lemon meringue and oft is the time I remember willing sore elbows to whisk once more or make the eighty forth figure eight in the curd as it blurped on in a low boil.

Therefore, any woman who can master that tangy perfection and toast those temperamental peaks (browned to perfection, btw), whilst amid the whinnying of eager tots has my utmost respect - not that I was ever in doubt.

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult." ~Charlotte Whitton