The lessons of the moon...

September 04, 2009 candacemorris 8 Comments

I suppose that after a hectic day raising kids, sometimes the only thing that keeps a parent "in the game," committed to doing the best they can, is watching their child sleep. After these perfect little monsters have ransacked your house, ran your ass off picking up after them, complained about the food you made, told you that you were mean because you didn't give them candy, irritated you while you tried to have one thought to yourself, interrupted you during your only sane adult phone conversation, and screamed all day in volumes only heard in the fiery furnace of hell itself...

(the descriptions above are in no way a reference to any persons, of course...)

After all of this, they finally get to bed. After a few hours, you start feeling normal again...you can hear yourself have intelligent thoughts, you can finally take a shower, you can pour a glass of wine. You are a brand new you. And after this evening of perfection, you wander into the children's rooms to pick up one last time and they catch you off guard...their angelic tenderness hits you all over again, and you remember that there IS a soul inside, that they really are so vulnerable despite what they convey, and that you are completely head over heels in love with them.

I believe this realization is called perspective.

Anger, details, to do lists, lack of research, pain, reactions, codependency...all of these can steal our perspective. This of course applies to more than children. Even now, as I am away from the saint for two weeks, I find myself tiptoeing into the shallow end of this pool of perspective. By the time I get home, I'll have soaked in perspective...and be read to see my marriage with new eyes...the eyes of absence.

When daily irritations subside, it is lovely to find my utter adoration and deep satisfaction with everything Joel has ever been, everything he is, and everything he ever will be.

Absence, perspective...these are things all relationships need to feel. Isn't it funny? We want as much time as possible with those we love, yet we need time away from them in order to see them more clearly. We need to see them asleep; we need to remember they are vulnerable.

And tonight, much like how I imagine a parent feels when they look at their child sleeping, I am looking at life while it slumbers. I feel proud, I feel softened, I feel endeared to this weird thing called being human.

Kiss your babies for me.
Kiss your husbands for you.
Kiss yourself for the divine.
You are loved.

Goodnight,
crm

You Might Also Like

8 comments:

Funny that you should mention all of this...
I just took a little peak at Delaney before I read your blog and her serenity almost made me forget her crying fit as I was trying to put on her PJ's or her constant clawing at my boob when I'd just like to eat my dinner.
I do love her, I really really do.

"Kiss your babies for me.
Kiss your husbands for you.
Kiss yourself for the divine."

Thanks for the truefest and the sighfest. I miss you. I love you.

How fucking beautiful!

The Corner Boy

...by the way. How dare you begin to thaw me out of my childless ice age like this. I'm going to pinch you next time I see you, for the sake of vengeance.

UmberDove said...

I'll hug the Saint for you. And toss back a shot of chupracabra tequilla with him for you.


Thank you for writing this. I know you know why.

emilyclare said...

With all my heart - great thanks and love, for being you with a voice that cuts so beautifully through the day..

jordan said...

yeah. so true - perspective is sometimes hard to gather without a little break from reality. you have such a way of putting my thoughts into well combined words ;)
xoxo

she said...

this is truly beautiful mme. that we could all embrace living, look upon it with tenderness, even. i look forward to the day when i will look back on the tyrant child that has been this year of my life and see it sleeping, harmless, beautiful even. you are, as always, an inspiration and a strength. thank you for this.