upon a rather "something" rant.

August 05, 2009 candacemorris 8 Comments

it is such a temptation for me to talk myself out of how i feel based on the logic that i will no longer feel that particular way in a few hours, days, weeks. while i feel it is truly wise to have buckets and buckets of this truth, this perspective of the universe that our lives are but temporal in the grand scheme (i realize this does not comfort everyone), i really have to be careful to avoid persuading myself out of moods.

some might call this wallowing.
yep.

i suppose that if you are the kind of person that finds wallowing to be among the 7-deadly sins, than perhaps you would advise that i surround myself with positivism, adjust my negative attitude, pull myself up by the bootstraps and just make myself feel better, damn it.

but at what cost? if these "moooods" are so continually battled, what part of myself is being severed? all of this simply so i can go about my day and feel better, feel productive, feel useful? i agree that to feel better, productive, and useful are important emotions, but are they much more important than to feel worse, unproductive, and unused? why do we persuade ourselves out of moods? it's NEVER made sense to me. "i am going to now talk myself out of feeling angry at my husband because it is not acceptable nor helpful to our relationship, plus it will freak the kids out." speaking from a somewhat narcissist perspective (in that only 1 person is really overly affected by my moodiness, and i don't have to deal with hiding myself for a more appropriate time so my kids feel more secure), i realize that not every single emotion needs full reign when it presents, but i also think there is something truly cauterizing about simply deciding that how we feel is unacceptable and doing any and everything to just get out of that mood.

i do not want to cauterize my soul. i have done this enough, dears, and the work at the other end of it is the steepest of uphill battles.

le sigh.

it's been one of those weeks where peeling hard boiled eggs turns into the most frustrating task OF YOUR ENTIRE LIFE. where you slice one piece of coconut cake and two seconds later it promptly falls onto the carpet (with tiny pieces of coconut everywhere). you then pick it up to throw away and miss the garbage can. it mocks you in a big splat on the kitchen floor. you reach for a paper towel, and in your frustration manage to pull the entire roll of paper towels from its rack.

also, did i mention? you have ABSOLUTELY.NOTHING.TO.WEAR. and you are the fatest person alive?

these things are temporal.
how i realize this.

but what of my career? what of houses, babies, graduate school, marriage, money, photography, writing, mental health, spiritual questions, and fathers? these things, not so temporal.

and how can i possibly muster the energy to think on these things when i cannot even walk five blocks to the grocery store to pick up celery?!

and in these days, i feel, truly feel that life is sometimes just fucking impossible.
oh, and also, that having a uterus is a cruel, cruel joke.

but, since there is no getting around my week or uterus, i have comforted myself with a bottle of 2008 Chilean savignon blanc in the afternoon. also, i am going to attempt some ridiculous baking feat, because that is just how crazy i feel. muuuaah.

the end.




*i am sure i won't feel this way tomorrow, so please disregard me.**



**that was sarcastic.

You Might Also Like

8 comments:

Cassie said...

Oh, dear. I feel for you. The days that every bit that is required just to be--goes wrong, is a shitty day, indeed. It is funny, though, how silly some of it is and then it is so easy to recognize that hormones are REAL and throw us for a loop sometimes. Not fair. And not always fair to others around us. But, hey, their lucky to not have to hear everything that goes unsaid, but is being screamed in our heads!!

I wish you the best on pulling through. At least you sound humorous!? Take it easy today, and on yourself, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I always wondered about this. I have this theory that these moments, the down shitty crap moods as well as the happy great ones are what makes us, us. That it shapes our lives and makes it worth living, and as an extension of that we should feel both the ups and downs, if only so we can differentiate between them (or so that we can appreciate the good times more).

In saying that, having a really horrible day is, well, pretty horrible. Happy thoughts hey, hope you find the flip side soon!

Unknown said...

i think that was fabulous and i agree a thousand times
:)

Becca said...

Is it sad that I am crying right now. I could go on and on and on about things but instead I am going to say this... "hell yes" .

jordan said...

oh man, can i see what you baked? and send you a cyber-hug while i'm at it?
xo

I really want to be that Transcendentalist, willing myself to lace the boot straps. I have done it a few times to find out, even though I have it is a situation outside my control. Most of the time it feels like I beat on a wall to no avail. Then come the vices...running is one of them.

~A. said...

maybe it's the whiskey, but your most recent comment made me laugh. thank you. :)

oh man, did i love this post...especially the part about the uterus:) I agree...especially when said uterus is filled with an alien too big to be in there and whom wants OUT.