The miss list

May 05, 2011 candacemorris 4 Comments

It seems I've had so many previous lives since college.  I have no regrets (I don't believe in them) and I wouldn't change a thing (to drop two cliches), but when I am feeling particularly nostalgic for a home that has nothing to do with a physical space, I start to hone in on that which I really loved about those previous lives.  It is my dream to say "I have truly lived" on my deathbed.

Today I miss
syliva loves the seaside
Sylvia

light
The spring evenings spent with my sister in San Diego last year

Poetry

sensory breathing
Hanging out with my books

elle écrit
Journaling

right where she was all along
Waiting to go to brunch when they all still lived here

Cafe Septieme
Writing Letters

 Clara
Looking over Clara's crib and seeing her smile at me

home is where the muffins are
Baking

like him with friends possessed
A dream


A comfortable chair

Joel working from home

A purpose
(a few of my former students, way back in the day)

Despite the angst, I admit that somewhere deep inside, it does feel good to miss.  If we didn't fully realize what we don't have, or didn't miss that which we once had, or didn't want something back that was snatched from our grasp, what would compel us to reach out and gobble up the love offered to us?  Without need, how can we know completion?  Without feeling empty, how could we know fulfillment?  Without desire, how can we know ecstasy?  

My soul has been on edge of late, and after taking several days to put it through the standard rigmarole of why this could be, I've decided that I have gone much too long without writing, reading, photographing, or really any other creative endeavorer (hell, even cooking).  My soul cannot survive a creatively stale life, and so I must tisk-tisk my finger at lazy practicality and determine to make my life once again about something more substantial than a plan to start making something.  It's time to do it.


You Might Also Like

4 comments:

Allisunny S. said...

"Without need, how can we know completion? Without feeling empty, how could we know fulfillment? Without desire, how can we know ecstasy? "

Ahhhh, wise woman.

Ah :)

xoxoxox

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that "my soul cannot survive a creatively stale life". This is an absolutely brilliant statement and one that I came to realize about an hour ago after finally getting into my studio after almost two weeks!!!! If this is something that makes me whole, and happy why did I wait so long? Maybe I just forgot about myself, and that I need to have that "meditation" time of solitude and creativity! Thanks for this post Candace, the timing was perfect! Aloha!

I'm just saying that I miss ALL of you...every single you in every single image...every single you in every single letter you've ever sent...every single glimpse I've had of your world while being with you.

I miss being directly in the light of your wisdom, every single day.

You're wonderful.
And you're loved.
x

dragon said...

Yesh!!! To think about creating and not create is a waste of life. Not I woulda, I coulda, I shoulda, but I did.