He said, "Let's go to the beach."

April 18, 2012 candacemorris 2 Comments

Daughter, Feet, Ocean
Golden Gardens in Spring

mari au printemps


I did comply.
I thought of my niece, who begs her mother to take her to the beach.
I bathed in nothingness while my hair blew wispy about my face.
I laid my head in his lap and felt close, so close.
I watched a family of five children carefully for tips.
I waved to a toddler running absentmindedly toward our blanket.
I ate grape after grape.
I heard a woman singing along with a guitar.
I anticipated the yoga class in which  I would later finally find relief for my back.
I stood at the water, admiring the Olympics.
I praised myself for my gorgeously pedicured toes.
I marveled at the differences in humans.
I felt him approach me and gently nudge me home.

All of these things, they are what the living do.
I'm living for two.



You Might Also Like

2 comments: