SNOW plus MAIL equals MAAAGGGIIICCC

December 14, 2009 candacemorris 6 Comments



I spent yesterday catching up on my life and one way I did that was reading all the final posts that came in from November's Month of Mail!  It was soo vastly satisfying to hold the entire month's mail in my hands and fondle it greedily.  It was wonderful to see people responding with such appreciation for not only the mail, but also for the idea itself. I cannot say enough about what a wonderful month it was. 

If mail isn't enough magic to bask in (can one bask in magic?), the heavens opened up and poured down its glorious white love upon my country home.
 



And snow reminds me...
(Warning: long-winded diatribe to follow)

I don't think we have enough magic in our lives as adults.  I've encounterd countless people who feel that getting into Christmas (ie, buying a tree!!!) is unecessary if there are no children around to enjoy it.  I know everyone loves watching children's faces as they marvel at the magic of lights and mangers of Jesus, but I can't help but feel a small loss when adults cannot register a similar magic.  Joelio and I become children around this time of year, putting on music all the time, opening squares in advent calendars, ooohing and aaahing over our tacky Christmas decorations.  We have no small children in this household, but we have plenty of magic.

Fall of 2008 brought with it a deep depression, and one of the major symptoms of this depression was the loss of magic in life.  Nothing interested me...trees were just trees, not living souls.  Stars were just burning things in the sky, not a map of ancient perspectives.  Christmas was obligation and debt, not candlelight and conversation.  For whatever reason, the magic has returned and I couldn't feel more grateful for it.

This season, I truly hope the advent brings you magic, and if not, at least HOPE for magic to come.   I hope this magic is for YOU and not just the little souls in your life...

~crm

You Might Also Like

6 comments:

Emily L. said...

I DO wish I had partaken in your month of mail challenge...however November was filled from top to bottom. Taking some time now to go do some writing! (and so wishing I could do it in the tub)

Cheers!

Joyful said...

Looks like I missed something concerning mail as I haven't been able to get to many blogs since mid-November. I'm so glad the magic has returned to you in force since Fall 2008. Snow, Christmas and real mail...those are good recipes for magic :-) Have a wonderful Christmas.

Taddyporter said...

Dear Candace Ruth(I liked typing that): thank you for this lush and lovely post. My spirits are brightened as I feel the TRUE magic and wonder of this glorious season, always a pleasure perusing your words.....the snow is falling gently here just east of your mountains. magical, oh yes.

and now to finish the last layer of Orangette's festive peppermint bark, you should whip up a batch, it is soooveryverygoood.

emilyclare said...

Magic. I have always liked the word, and I have always coveted the feeling when its come with tingling in my toes. I felt that every time I opened up the mailbox to find correspondence from distant lands! It was such a brilliant idea and really proves how important and vital for our soul's happiness it is to write and receive good old fashioned mail!

Thank you Candace; your gentle words are exactly what I needed this morning as I've gotten out of bed and felt tired and exhausted and frustrated at the crazy-paced days. I will shake that off, and unreservedly, embrace the magic of today.

she said...

this may be narcissistic, but i love seeing pieces of mail i sent to you in pictures you take and post. makes me feel like i'm there (which in some ways, i suppose i am).

I am ALL about the magic. I truly think happiness is when you let yourself be childlike. Love this post and I'm really enjoying your blog! xoxo